Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> I need some advice... FAST!

ManX
post Feb 20 2005, 03:00 AM
Post #1

Confusion Reigns

Group: Private Member
Member No.: 41

I know this ain't the right forum - spank me later. I just need an expert opinion regarding video editing hardware and software - and I need it yesterday!

I can pick up either or both of the following systems. I need to know what Awai or someone figures they are worth, as the price seems too good to be true... and I only have about 48hrs to make a decision. Thanks everybody!
=====================================
Fast Video Machine/DPR Studio Hybrid Editing System
Hardware:
Fast VM Studio card, YUV card, Dual DPR Card, Pentium 2 - 400 mhz (All video is processed on the cards), 32 mb video ATI card, 384mb RAM, 52X CD ROM,
3 - computer system/backup hard drives (6.5 gig, 8.5 gig, 20 gig,) 4 SCSI Seagate Barracuda’s in external computer case (4 - 9 gig = 36 gigs), floppy drive, Studio Control Box, YUV Control Box, Jog Shuttle, Audio Control Box, all cables, and 9 extra 9 gig hard drives in another external computer case.

Software:
Windows 95, Photoshop 5.02 (only one that works with Windows 95), VM Studio Plus with Dongle 3.98, Alpha CG, Boris FX 5.1, Hollywood Silver, Ulead Cool 3.0, Crystal Impact 1.24, Elastic Reality, Crystal 3D Vortex transistions, Ulead 3D transitions, Extensis, Photo Animator 1, Extensis Photo Tools 3.0, Extensis Photo Frame 2.0, Xaos Tools, Alienware Eye Candy, Kai Power Tools 3 and 5, and Pro 24 compositor.

This system is a unique and rock solid “hybrid editing system”, 2 real time streams of video with graphics and titles. This means you can edit from decks or off the hard drives and put all on the same time line and even mix the two types of clips together. All processing and digitizing is on the cards, not the CPU. It is a MJPEG editing system and with the fastest hard drives available today you could do lossless compression. The hard drives in the system now will go to 3.5 to 1 compression ratio. This is much better quality than Mini DV (that’s at 5 to 1). The system comes with over 1000 real time transistions and hundreds of 3D transitions, or you can make your own with the digital effects editor. I even have addition memory, video cards, and motherboards for this system if you want some back up components. It is the only “hybrid” editing system that is on the market even today.
It is “ROCK SOLID”, does not crash and gives you the best of both worlds; non-linear editing for short commercial work, and linear editing for long event productions (no digitizing).
The system is guaranteed to work right out of the box and will give you years of hassle free editing with any format on the planet.
===========================================
Digisuite LX MAX Real Time Editing System with Firewire, Component, Y/C, Composite I/O:

Hardware:
Digisuite LX Card and MAX card set with Video and XLR/RCA Audio Breakout boxes. Dual PIII 933 mz computer. 1 gig of Ram, Asus CUV4X-D motherboard, Adaptec 39160 SCSI card, Linksys 100 Network card, Sony DRU-510 A 4x DVD Recorder, Matrox G400 32 MB dual monitor video card, 4 - 36 Gig Seagate Cheetahs 10K SCSI hard drives for Video, 1 - 18 gig Seagate Cheetah 10K SCSI hard drive for audio, 1 - 9 gig Seagate Cheetah 10K SCSI hard drive for system, 2-9 gig Western Digital SCSI hard drives for backup.

Software:
Loaded on the computer
Windows 2000 SP. 2, Adobe After Effects Production Bundle 5.0, Ulead Cool 3d 3.5, Crystal Graphics Impact Pro 1.24, Adobe Photoshop 7.01, Adobe Illustrator 9.02, Veritas Record Now DX 4.60, Extensis Photo Tools 2.0, Extensis Photo Animator, Extensis Photo frame, DigiUtilities 7.1, DVDit SE 2.54, Adobe Premiere 6.5, Inscriber Titler for Adobe Premiere 6.5, and Boris FX 6.1 and Ligos MPEG plugin for Adobe Premiere 6.5, Boris Graffetti 3.0.

This system is a working system and ready to go. It is a real time MPEG 2 editing system with real time encoding of DVD compliant video from the source and off the time-line. The system is capable of editing 2 streams of video and 1 graphic layer in real time with 3D transitions and titles.
Retailed for over $15,000

--------------------
Few of the great creators have bland personalities. They are cantankerous egotists, the kind of people who are unwelcome in polite society. (David Ogilvy)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Audiyoda
post Feb 20 2005, 08:02 PM
Post #2

Houston, we have a problem...

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 64

If I had the choice, I'd grab both. Cost for both right now - as long as all licenses transfer - $8-10,000.

If I could only grab one, I'd take the second - most work is being done today in MPEG-2 (HD and DVD standards). It's also the easiest system to upgrade to true HD.
+Quote Post
boxcrash
post Feb 21 2005, 02:11 AM
Post #3

DaddyMan

Member No.: 77

Dang yeah I would try to get both also, but if I had a choice of one, it would be the second one because it will run faster, more stable more compatiable and the software is still pretty up to date and you should still be able to easily get plug-ins for any of it and have a wide selection.

And that Asus board is pretty stable and will run alot faster then the Dual P!!'s.
Also make sure those 933's are 933's and not just clocked at that. You could always crank them up a little bit to 1ghz when you get them and they will run stable its a good board for OC'ing as far as the groups went at the time, also ask about the caps(capacitors) make sure they are not swealing on that board, don't think they had issues I know some the BP6's did if I remember right.
+Quote Post
Audiyoda
post Feb 21 2005, 04:34 AM
Post #4

Houston, we have a problem...

Member No.: 64

I should add - my estimated costs are retail - used would be around 60% of that.
+Quote Post
Awai
post Feb 21 2005, 12:29 PM
Post #5

Waiting For...

Member No.: 19

hope i'm not too late, but then again my advice is pretty similar to audiyoda's...given the choice and funding i'd get both! the second one is more upto date and if the software licenses are upto date too then your getting more bang for your buck with that option especially as your getting the boris stuff packaged onto the system which is miles better than the hollywood silver stuff in the first. good luck.

Awai.

--------------------
"You look into her eyes
and it’s more than your heart will allow
And in August and Everything After
you get a little less than you expected somehow."
+Quote Post
dInferno
post Feb 22 2005, 07:40 AM
Post #6

nFm [ progressor ]

Member No.: 36

I don't want to sound like I'm just an echo of everyone else, but I would also go with the second one.

just my 2 cents
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:56 AM