IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Symantic '04 Products, Dont use them with '98 products.

Xizor
post Jun 14 2004, 06:04 AM
Post #1

nFm [ stuck around ]

Group: Members
Member No.: 115

Just wanted to voice an opinion. Dont use Symantic 2004 products with windows 9x products. I've had nothing but problems & it runs sooo slow with 9x.

`Andy
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Messenger
post Jun 14 2004, 07:25 AM
Post #2

nFm [ Level 2 ]

Group: Full Member
Member No.: 89

Symantec/Norton Products have always been serious resource hogs
+Quote Post
Deepone
post Jun 14 2004, 10:44 AM
Post #3
Ball Eat Champion! Dwarf on a Wharf Champion! Q Bert 2004 Champion! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Brawl Champion! Western Shooter Champion!

The One Deep Down

Group: Private Member
Member No.: 101

yeah.. my advice would be to not run them at all, at least my comp got pretty berserk after having got a taste of them, and uninstalling it caused the reinstallation of windows... it was 02 version if I recall right, but friends have had about the same problems too with later ones so I wont be using them anyway. just a friendly warning, they might mess ur system up pretty badly.

--------------------
This person is best talked to with the help of a computer..
+Quote Post
Bearsland
post Jun 14 2004, 12:29 PM
Post #4
Lightning Pool Champion! Midi Golf Champion! Pepsi Pinball Champion! Pool Jam Champion!

Grumpy Old Man

Group: VIP Member
Tournaments Won: 2

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Messenger @ Jun 14 2004, 08:25 AM)

I still don't get this 'myth' that pops up in forums every now and then about Norton being a resource hog. I personally have never had any probs with it.

My Norton AV 2004 is using a total of 10MB of memory and no CPU at all. I also have Norton 2004 products on my son's Win 98 box and it has no issues at all.
+Quote Post
Messenger
post Jun 14 2004, 02:11 PM
Post #5

nFm [ Level 2 ]

Member No.: 89

QUOTE (Bearsland @ Jun 14 2004, 12:29 PM)
QUOTE (Messenger @ Jun 14 2004, 08:25 AM)

I still don't get this 'myth' that pops up in forums every now and then about Norton being a resource hog. I personally have never had any probs with it.

My Norton AV 2004 is using a total of 10MB of memory and no CPU at all. I also have Norton 2004 products on my son's Win 98 box and it has no issues at all.

Norton Antivirus 2003 caused a pretty major slowdown on my system and had my CPU running at 80% or more at all times. Uninstalling it and loading an opposing products not only picked up a virus (inactive) in a file that Norton didn't detect and CPU usage dropped to <20%
+Quote Post
PimpScourge
post Jun 14 2004, 02:31 PM
Post #6
QB Challenge Champion! Sink Ya Drink Champion!

Broken As Designed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Xizor @ Jun 13 2004, 11:04 PM)
Just wanted to voice an opinion. Dont use Symantic 2004 products with windows 9x products. I've had nothing but problems & it runs sooo slow with 9x.

`Andy

I don't even use them on XP! I did not like how the AV worked, so I switched back to 2003.
+Quote Post
ManX
post Jun 15 2004, 08:14 AM
Post #7

Confusion Reigns

Group: Private Member
Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Bearsland @ Jun 14 2004, 05:29 AM)

My Norton AV 2004 is using a total of 10MB of memory and no CPU at all.

Yo, Bear...

I don't wanna make you any grumpier than usual, but it ain't a myth.

Independent tests run by PC World, ZD Labs, and dozens of other organizations over the past 5 years (since the release of Norton Antivirus & Systemworks 2001) - not to mention my personal experience, all demonstrate rather conclusively that NAV uses more system resources than nearly every other competing product.

Part of the reason for this is that Symantec/Norton runs so many additional processes: LiveUpdate, SymEvent, and others that run as services under NT-based systems.

I switched to F-Prot more than a year ago, and have been more than pleasantly surprised by its small footprint (2520Kb of memory - 0% CPU) and fast, reliable performance ever since.

Besides... the "0% CPU" measurement is misleading for ANY Antivirus proggie. Under normal operation, antivirus apps are merely resident and watchful. Only when actively scanning (email, downloads, scheduled HD scans, etc.) will you see any noticeable performance hit on the CPU.

All the above BS aside, I was prompted to switch after 6 years of running NAV simply because I don't like Symantec's business model or attitude... and I really hate their decision to use "Product Activation". I ALWAYS paid for my NAV, all nice and legal. But I still dislike the assumption that I am guilty until proven innocent.

And that is what is at the core of Product Activation, whether from Symantec, Microsoft, Intuit, or whoever.

'Nuff said.

Are ya' grumpy yet??? :P
-ManX

--------------------
Few of the great creators have bland personalities. They are cantankerous egotists, the kind of people who are unwelcome in polite society. (David Ogilvy)
+Quote Post
mcelb1200
post Jun 16 2004, 06:49 AM
Post #8

nFm [ Level 1 ]

Member No.: 94

Installed Norton Systemworks Pro 2004 on my 98se machine.

Can anyone say "overwrite ASPI layer with proprietary drivers that aren't compatible with everything...."

I just ended up reloading my ghost and exorcising that demon from my system. I use F-Prot for DOS. IMHO it's the way to go.

This post has been edited by mcelb1200: Jun 16 2004, 08:14 AM

--------------------
user posted image
... just let me see if I can get that log out of your eye...
+Quote Post
Bearsland
post Jun 16 2004, 03:02 PM
Post #9
Lightning Pool Champion! Midi Golf Champion! Pepsi Pinball Champion! Pool Jam Champion!

Grumpy Old Man

Group: VIP Member
Tournaments Won: 2

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (ManX @ Jun 15 2004, 09:14 AM)
Are ya' grumpy yet???

Not at all mate. I think it seems to be one of these cases where something works for one person and not for another.

I personally have had no probs with Norton/Symantec at all; ie. no viruses (ever!), no slowdown and have never seen their products as a resource hog.

Each to his own I think. :)

~Bear
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:58 AM