> New laptop., ~

Pikaporeon
post Apr 29 2004, 01:24 AM
Post #1
Advanced Curveball Champion!

...Then I Defy You, Stars

Group: Private Member
Member No.: 70

I got a new laptop finally. Its a great working machine, has been solid as a rock (waited a few weeks to post this so i could be sure), fast, and functional.

I have had no problems from it and prefer it to my windows PC.

Now everyone has been scoffing at me for the particular laptop, though the colour and appearance is popular.

This is because it is the 12" iBook G4.

People who regularly insult macs for the sake of insulting macs i suggest should try out one of these. I have NO IDEA where the hatered comes from.

--------------------
A British company is developing small computer chips that can store music
in women's breasts.

This is considered a major breakthrough since women complain about men
staring at their breasts and not listening to them.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bearsland
post Apr 29 2004, 01:37 AM
Post #2
Lightning Pool Champion! Midi Golf Champion! Pepsi Pinball Champion! Pool Jam Champion!

Grumpy Old Man

Group: VIP Member
Tournaments Won: 2

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Pikaporeon @ Apr 29 2004, 02:24 AM)
People who regularly insult macs for the sake of insulting macs i suggest should try out one of these. I have NO IDEA where the hatered comes from.

Quite simple mate; people's stupid belief that what they like is, and must be, better than everything else.

It's an age old argument same as Linux/Windows, IE/Firefox, ATI/NVidia. A lot of the time it's just ignorance.

If your happy with your machine and/or what you use then screw what others think. What makes you happy is all that matters.

You enjoy it mate. B)
+Quote Post
TWINE006
post Apr 29 2004, 02:21 AM
Post #3

Narcissism Incarnate

Member No.: 25

You have your PC fanboys, your Mac fanboys, and then the people who have some intelligence and don't really care. I'm a PC fan, so naturally, I'm one of those "people who regularly insult macs for the sake of insulting macs." Ignorance? Likely. Will I ever stop? Unlikely.

Anyways, I'm glad to hear that's it's worked out so far with no problems. I personally have not touched a Mac in years. All I know is that back then they were pieces of crap. The again, so was Windows... Anyways, how much did that laptop set ya back?

http://www.thehoucks.com/happynowhere/Appl...Parody_DivX.avi :P

--------------------
You can win a thousand battles but you can still only lose one.
user posted image
+Quote Post
Firewiz
post Apr 29 2004, 06:02 AM
Post #4

God is Busy-Can I Help U?

Group: Global Moderator
Member No.: 17

You can take the overpriced, good quality, limitingly upgradeable, pretty looking, under-supported, overly adverstised in a hitler like propogandic fashion, always trying to claim there superiority over pc's in advertisements, miss-understood, not enough mainstream software titles....I can go on with good and bad....

Bottom line, you want to spend some cash, get a cool computer with limited useablitiy to mainstream everyday users, that is VERY propietary, can do some things with outstanding results...than buy a mac if it makes u happy!

Im sticking to PC's in microwhore's world!

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
ManX
post Apr 29 2004, 07:37 AM
Post #5

Confusion Reigns

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Firewiz @ Apr 29 2004, 06:02 AM)
You can take the overpriced, good quality, limitingly upgradeable, pretty looking, under-supported... <edit>

Yo, Wiz...

I love ya like a brother, but ya went overboard on this cruise!

Look... I started out on the Atari platform, stopped briefly on the Apple platform, and ended up on PCs.

Every hardware platform I've ever used (did I mention the Burroughs 3500 series mainframe? Or the IBM 360 or 370 series mainframes? Or the Honeywell 6000 series? Or the PDP-11???) had its good sides and bad.

The Mac platform has both good and bad, just as the PC does. If I want to manipulate/edit/process multi-megabyte image files in Photoshop (which I do almost every f-ing week), I can do so far faster on my G-5 than I can on my PC.

If I want to run M$-Word, or play "Balls of Steel", I can do so far faster and with more stablility on my PC.

I don't make judgements as to which is the "better" platform, I just use each one whenever I can leverage the OS-specific advantages for my own benefit.

PC? Mac? How about both! :P
-ManX

--------------------
Few of the great creators have bland personalities. They are cantankerous egotists, the kind of people who are unwelcome in polite society. (David Ogilvy)
+Quote Post
DutchKid
post Apr 29 2004, 11:55 AM
Post #6

Institutionalised Nutcase

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6

The mac is widely used for gfx processing, but supports the rest of the software. Not much games come out on the Mac so the PC has my vote, just coz it's an allrounder with lots of software titles and types.

My 2cents...

--------------------
user posted image
-----------------------Live The Day At Hand-----------------------
+Quote Post
MySoftware2
post Apr 29 2004, 02:35 PM
Post #7

nFm [ progressor ]

Group: Admin
Member No.: 13

Apple2E

My neighbour had it a long time ago.. I only remember one thing about it:

CATALOG

Did it change since? :lol: :lol: :lol:

-MS2
+Quote Post
boxcrash
post Apr 29 2004, 04:54 PM
Post #8

DaddyMan

Member No.: 77

OH no I should avoid this thread like a plague, but I guess I am not listening to myself.

I have owned a couple of Macs in the past and thought that the Macintosh was the greatest machine ever.

This was in 1993, 1994 and 95 maybe.

Well I worked in graphics on some of these and at the time it was the way to go. Windows 3.xx whatever was out and big bad Windows 95' and NT, so for anything other than Word(well some things started coming out on NT a little later) Windows based PC's sucked. All the 3D and Graphics, that is normal user crap was available on the Macs pretty much exclusively.

You could always buy a SGI or Irix, Unix based box at the time, but for the average computer user is was out...Even though my dad did buy a Pen Pro running NT with 128mb ram and then bought 3DS Max and Alias Power Animator 7.xx.

Well as time went on and more stuff came out for NT Server, like Maya 2.0/2.5 it then became a cheaper more reliable machine with faster tech sheaper. Even in the past my Macs constinetly crashed and screwed up. Then of course the Tech came pretty far ahead and no longer where the Machintosh CPU's the fastest for the money.

When I worked in Multimedia Design(Print Design, 3D, Internet, Flash, etc.) about 3 years ago my boss swore up and down when I first started about 4-4.5 years ago that Macs where the ultimate, I tried to tell him that was not the case. Well I used G3's, Beige and Blue, Quataum(or wahtever) and all kinds. We even bought some newer G4's, the Dual G4 533 or whatever with like 1.5gb or ram in one and a Superdrive with 2gb ram.

I tried to run everything on them, the only thing they would run was Flash 4/5 and PS 5/6(without SMP, which was why have 2 cpus then??).

So we had to buy a couple of Intel machines to run any 3d appz at work, other than at my house.
So two computers for less then the price of one of those G4's would run any app just as fast and faster and then every app the Mac could not run, I never had problems viewing movies or anything I rendered on the PC based boxes.

They ran PS faster, maybe not video stuff but we did not have any hardware capture cards in the PC boxes, just Combustion. I thought Combust ran faster and I liked it better than dumb Final Cut Pro crap.

The G4's where brand new and trying to run software on them that was suppose to run on them like PS, was a headache they always crashed. If the PC crashed once in a straight 8-10 hour work day the Mac would crash about 20 times to that.

I am sorry I thought they where crap and soon became a larger Win/Linux/Unix/etc. based box man.
They, Mac, looked nice.... <_< :D

So I found for real world applications in a work environment that PC was way better; cheaper, easier to upgrade and find parts for, more efficeient, greater stability and way larger software selection and compatibility.

In short most of the time the G4 boxes sat around as Quake 3 servers. :D :P

This post has been edited by boxcrash: Apr 29 2004, 04:55 PM
+Quote Post
Pikaporeon
post Apr 30 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #9

Interesting opinions. Im in a rush (always seem to be nowadays) but im wondering why this was moved. Its definatly not a Support thing.

--------------------
in women's breasts.

+Quote Post
Audiyoda
post Apr 30 2004, 02:16 AM
Post #10

Houston, we have a problem...

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 64

In my field of audio and video, Mac's where the top dawg. That's all changed - for the better IMO. When I first learned ProTools on the Mac I thought it was a bit combersome and clunky. It got refined, but there was never a great deal of third party application to go along with PtoTools. The same could be said for Adobe's Premiere on the Mac.

Now that I've got a ProTools|HD system running on a windows machine, the world is a whole new place. Third party pug-ins galore, the interface is clean and easy to use (unlike the current ProTools OS-X offering) and I'm more compatible with the rest of the world (wav files translate to any audio app -- unlike aff files).

I'm with Firewiz - Mac's are over priced for what you get, limited in their upgrade path, and very over-rated by their user base.
+Quote Post
Maggietobias
post May 10 2004, 06:35 PM
Post #11

nFm [ progressor ]

Member No.: 56

I agree with Wiz that they're overpriced etc but they're easier to use out of the box. Windows even XP takes more time to set up and to make sure all equipment working.

Maggietobias
+Quote Post
artzelda
post May 11 2004, 09:06 PM
Post #12

The MAN

Member No.: 26

Wow!! All these comments and no consensus. Buy what you like and like what you buy. Each machine has its pros and cons.
+Quote Post
Pikaporeon
post May 12 2004, 12:32 AM
Post #13

...and if you like what you get for free, even better!

--------------------
in women's breasts.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:29 AM