Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Maxtor HD Fail Help needed
nForums.net > Support > Hardware
wizzard
My Maxtor D740X-6L 40GiG hard drive desapeard from my C:\

It has no operating system on it has 2 partition and its used for storage only Downloads.

it just stopped working i tried all kind of sttup deferent connection but with no luck

Bios see's it, Hardware Manager see's it but when i come to C:\ its not there i changed cables and even tried deferent Box another comp. same thing.
And one more thing i relised as soon as i hook it on the bootup time is going up to 10min
and when i take it off the box the bootup is back to normal.

Please if anyone can help me with this

thank you
boxcrash
Have you tried running diag on it?? Like any kind of drive diagnostics?? Sounds like it is a bad drive, or drive that is going bad.

Also it could have something to do with if you are using Dyanmic drive in XP.
wizzard
Can you explain more please.
and tell me what app i need to diag i need to get to this . please thanks
PimpScourge
Maxtor has it's own diagnostic tool (I guess they know their drives fail much). go to maxtor.com, and under the support section put your HD model. It will take you to a page where you can download the diagnostic tool.
Saint26
If the motor on the drive is still spinning and there is no physical damage to the platters or the head, I suggest you run a data recovery app and recover all you data ASAP before the drive stops spinning. Check out Easy Recovery Pro or Get Data Back.
wizzard
QUOTE (Saint26 @ Jun 22 2004, 02:47 PM)
If the motor on the drive is still spinning and there is no physical damage to the platters or the head, I suggest you run a data recovery app and recover all you data ASAP before the drive stops spinning. Check out Easy Recovery Pro or Get Data Back.

it does but windows cant detect it i cannot get to it please it is still spining
ManX
QUOTE (wizzard @ Jun 22 2004, 08:21 AM)
windows cant detect it i cannot get to it please it is still spining

The first step is to determine if the issue is a hardware problem.

I suggest using the Partition Magic boot floppies to load PM. If PM can see the drive and partition info from DOS, then your issue is likely to be with Windows, not the HD.

If you can see the partition via PM, check to see what it says about the type and status for any/all partitions on the drive.

If the drive seems to be physically okay, then you might want to immediately run a disk clone tool such as Ghost or Drive Image to copy the entire drive to a partition on another drive. After the clone, I would run SpinRite 6 on this puppy to see what it can recover.

Good luck.
-ManX
Haroc
try this
http://www.panterasoft.com/index.html?source=hddh_shortcut might give you some idea if there is a problem if it can see it in the first place.
wizzard
ManX i will try PM tonight and thanks for the help let you know how it qwnt.

HarocThanks for your reply i will try the app in a bit let you know smile.gif
judson70
What OS are you running? Windows XP has a great (sic) tools to manage drives. It's called Disk Management and it's found in the Administrator tools under control panel. See if your drive is listed there and if it is .. see if it has an error messege beside it ... the help file that's included will tell you what to do if there is an error.

Peace
boxcrash
Yeah, Data Lifeguard tools is the tool set that Maxtor has on there website and ti works really good for the Maxtor drives. Also they have another one, and they both boot from the floppy. Where you can run quick and extended tests as well as 90/90 which is a good test.

You might need to run the extended ones, those are the only ones I recommend and in addition to that I have seen even those miss problems and the hardware is still bad, but thats only with memory because sometimes it can miss the intersections that are having issues intermitently.

Also like I said, which is under Disk Managment, is Dynamic Drive, which would make that drive apart of another drive or a couple of partitions, making it essentialy software Raid, but you would notice this and also you would have had to set it up that way. So its either a XP issue or a bad drive, or drive going bad. Also it could be a virus....

Does the machine ever hang on shutdown or booting??
wizzard
QUOTE (boxcrash @ Jun 24 2004, 03:38 AM)
Also it could be a virus....

Does the machine ever hang on shutdown or booting??

It hangs while booting allmost 45 minutes to boot to windows

and i ran the test it has large amount of bad sectors
mcelb1200
I found a collection of data recovery techniques for dead HDD's at: http://www.hddrecovery.com.au/downloads/200ways.pdf

It's a collection of 200 posts to www.techrepublic.com and seems to be quite useful.

In particular, check out posts at: pg5 - Clifford Lyles / pg6 - Daniel Philpott / pg17 - Gordon G / pg17 - Traci N Thrash / pg32 - Ronald Reitz

Good luck! wink.gif
wizzard
thanks for all but i removed it from the box and its over i gave up thanks a lot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.