Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Suggestion
nForums.net > Information & Services > Suggestions & Help
Rogue Znowman
Would it be a good idea to leave the Announcement Forum as "read-only"...?

I keep seeing the "new-posts" logo beside it and thinking there's a new announcement all the time, when instead it's just somebody's two-word reply. huh.gif

The whole idea of having announcements is to notify the entire board of a specific topic... to draw their attention to something in particular.

If people want to discuss the topic, or offer a "thankyou" or "well-done"... they can do so in the chat section.

How do you guys feel about that?
Blue_Muppet
personally, i agree with you. But we thought we would see how it ran as an open to post area, and encourage people to take note of whats happening around the boards. I would like to hear peoples thoughts on this.
Bearsland
I'm with RZ on this one.

I keep seeing the "new-posts" logo beside it and thinking there's a new announcement all the time, when instead it's just somebody's two-word reply.

It can be a bit irritating to see lists of 'Thank you', 'Works for me', 'OK', etc...

Would perhaps be better read only for Admins to let us know what's new, etc...

My 2 cents...

~Bear
DutchKid
Agreed, it's getting out of hand...
Songi
I agree aswell. If most posts are going to be saying congrats or thanking then we can through up a post like that in chit chat and leave announcements untouched. So i agree with only admins being able to post there.
Boss429
i disagee.

only because it shows a better community atmosphere. If you have something to say, say it, dont go start a thread just to say good work, yes that is chatting, but it seems like spam.

I mean if it is your friends birthday, you say happy birthday to em, you wouldn't go start a street march delcaring happy birthday to em. it is unecessary.

I agree though that the NEW post for each comment is unruly, and can be annoying. But read-only is to much.

just my opinon
Rogue Znowman
I mean  if it is your friends birthday, you say happy birthday to em, you wouldn't go start a street march delcaring happy birthday to em.    it is unecessary.
Umm... if it's someone's birthday here, chances are there's gonna be a thread in the Chit-Chat section devoted to wishing that person a good one.

only because it shows a better community atmosphere.  If you have something to say, say it, dont go start a thread just to say good work,  yes that is chatting, but it seems like spam.
If it's spam when it's in its own thread in chat, why is it not spam when it is attached to the announcement...?

I definitely believe in "If you have something to say, say it". Which is why, for example, if there's an announcement about "New Mods" informing us who the staff is made up of, there could be a thread in chat like "Congrats to the new staff members", where everyone could post their 2c about how they feel about it.

The way it is now, the announcement threads may as well be in the chit-chat section. I believe that the only thing that should be in the Announcement section is Announcements. huh.gif
CODE
Announcement (noun):

1: The act of making known publicly.
2: A formal public statement.
3: A statement about something that is happening or going to happen.
4: The act of announcing, or giving notice; that which announces; proclamation; publication.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.