Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: questions on routers and access point
nForums.net > Support > Networking
SmacK
alright my question is this, i ahve a d-link DI-604 and i been wanting it to be wireless. now do i get a wireless access point like the d-link DWL-1000AP+? should that work to get my network to be wireless? also, if anyone has an xbox and is on xbox live, would it effect it?
optomos
Thats alot of money to spend to go to a wireless network.

Today I bought the DI-624 "AirPlusXtremeG" 108mbps from Best Buy for $71.99 and there is a $30 mail in rebate for it on the D-Link site plus $10 from Best Buy.

I also bought the DWL-G520 that goes with it for $53.99 and it comes with a $20 rebate from D-Link & a $10 rebate from Best Buy which will bring it to $24

$32+24 is alot cheaper that an access point, plus the access point is only a 54Mbps 802.11g.

As far as the possibility of it interfearing with the Xbox...I doubt it but if it does you can always change the channel in the router. The default channel that the router works on is 6.
Boss429
this may belong in the networking section...
DutchKid
Correction, it DOES belong there!

Damn those US rebates!!! I wish that we had those here in Holland!!
optomos
PS- I was just reading the specs on the Dlink & it does say its Xbox Live compatible. Here is the link:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6

Its about 1/4 of the way down the page.
DutchKid
I might be wrong but I believe that if it supports UPnP it supports XBox and the likes.
Boss429
im not a fan of the "108mbps" type ruoters... they are not really 108mbps, and if they were they wouldnt have got the certification.

all they do is collapse channels to gether to get incresased bandwidth. this can and will effect anyone in the area that has a wireless router using any channel that is being "crunched".

Go for the 54mbps router or go for the linksys 35% speed boost which uses a different system.
optomos
The "108mbps" type routers are a 54 mbps router. They just have the abillity to go to 108 plus they have a stronger signal to reach farther through walls or in outside areas. Also the 108 technology can be disabled. Unlike Linksys the other companies "all other manufactures have a router with this,even Belkin" give specifics as to how far their signal can reach in feet, but the Linksys only gives a "35% boost" figure; 35% boost of what??

The 108 routers have their speed increase due to the Atheros "AR5002" chip which use compresion to boost signal & data rate & yes they use two channels but you have 11 channels to choose from anyway unlike the Linksys where the channels apply only to the "mode" you use. Plus, some of the 108 will be firmware upgradable to the upcomming 802.11I which will have goverment encyption capability.
Boss429
yeah but the 108mbps isnt truly availible if it was it wouldnt have gotten certified with its method.

at least here in canada.

SpeedBooster technology is a compatible add-on to standard Wireless-G, which increases "real-world" wireless network performance by up to 35%. Unlike other speed-enhancing technologies, SpeedBooster is fully 802.11 compliant, and a "good neighbor" to other wireless devices and technologies, using a single 2.4GHz channel as specified by the official wireless standard. And, unlike other technologies, with SpeedBooster you'll see an overall speed improvement even when running a mixed network of SpeedBooster and regular Wireless-G devices.

however i know various reviews give it different opinions.

The Linksys is based on Broadcom's "Afterburner" technology
Netgear uses artheros TEchn
and
3com uses Prism GT.

from tomsnetworking -
At an average throughput of around 50 Mbps, the NETGEAR products using Super-G clearly beat Linksys' Afterburner-based offerings, but only when Super-G is running in its controversial channel-bonding mode. As the plot shows, Super-G drops out of channel bonding on a periodic basis to ensure that non Super-G products get a chance to communicate, which lowers its average best-case throughput to about 45Mbps.

But Super-G is supposed to drop immediately out of channel bonding as soon as a non Super-G client comes in range—though it has been Broadcom's contention that this doesn't happen. If you assume that Super-G does adjust, however, the speed advantage goes to Afterburner, since its 36 Mbps clearly beats Super-G's non-bonded 26 (or so) Mbps. On the other hand, as Figure 7 shows, Afterburner's speed drops pretty quickly with distance and / or obstacles—enough so to question whether Afterburner provides any significant benefit under real-world conditions.

optomos
Very interesting. This is what I did.

I had originally bought a dlink superG setup. on the second computer upstairs I was recieving a 40% on average signal(this was at about 75 feet & going through 3 walls), though I was having problems with keeping a connection & it would cause lag at times. Now I do have 2.4ghz phones in the house so it was hard to tell whether that was the issue or not or if it was drivers etc; plus dlink has A+ tech support when it comes to availability & wait time. I was able to call them anytime & I did not have to wait a long time like I did when I had the Linksys; but they were not able to resolve my issues, example: They would say "it might be a bad card" or "you need to update your bios" or the final one "well, there could be many factors that could interfere with signal and thus, the wireless technology has not been perfected in this area" like thats thats really helpfull to me, thnx dry.gif
Note: The dlink produts were working great at the begining & than for some odd reason it started to have a will of its own.

So, off I go back to Best Buy with all the Dlink products in hand & switch it out for Netgear. Now the Netgear was a little bit more, but not by much & it did have rebates as well. For now im staying away from Linksys; as the old saying goes "once bitten twice shy" or in my case "twice bitten & your an idiot to ever do it again". Anyway, I bought the Netgear version of the 108 superG(one router & one card) which also has the Atheros chip. Brought it home followed directions but it could not find my IP blink.gif I had to call my ISP & have them reset the modem. Then I went through the setup again & it worked. It was one of the easiest setups I have ever done!! I go upstairs and start installing the card. I had a problem with the software install & wanted to reinstall. Sooo I go to reinstall but I could only remove the software;hmmm. I uninstall & than I try to reinstall; no can do, I can only uninstall;SHIT! I get their 800 number to talk to tech support only to find out I have to register the product (on the web) and get "some kind of number" before tech support will even talk to me. Now how the *uck would I do that if you cant get on the web to register!! At that point I just said to hell with it & shut down, install the card, reboot and go through the "new hardware wizzard". Holly Shit, it works!! it found the wireless connection & the status of the signal was "very good" thats a 80% signal strength & its in the same location as was the Dlink. No lost connection, no lag, the 2.4ghz doesnt seem to interfear the router but the router does interfere the phone. I guess I need to go out and buy a 5.8ghz phone now.

Final note: The Dlink & Linksys both come with a 3 year warranty. The Netgear comes with a 1 year.
Boss429
depending on where you live.. ie Canada Dlink is a almost better way togo. only because they have locations in canada and service centers so you dont have to send anything through customs.

I had a similar prob.

I wouldnt really touch netgear myself. and i have had many bad experiences with SMC. My SMC router (wireless cool.gif was giving me trouble, but now that i finally got it working as a wireless switch im happy!

I have a Linksys BEF 4port 10/100 router uplinking to the SMC barricade wireless passing on the Linksys DHCP ips to the devices in the SMC. I never have any problems now with getting an IP form the it wirelessly because i disabld the DHCP in the SMC and taking the IPS directly formt he Linksys. IT works flawlessly. except when the cable connection goes down for maintenance.

Boss429
Back on topic!

Smack,

in reality an access point wil work... but your probablly better off ( for the money unless you can spare extra $$$ ) with what opto and i have been talking about.. a new wifi router.

gotta dash dinner.. edi this when i get back
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.