Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Windows Error Report
nForums.net > Support > Hardware
optomos
My comp has been freazing up and rebooting on its own. I get this message every time it reports it to Microsoft:

"Thank you for submitting an error report. The error was likely caused by:

A hardware failure reported by your Central Processing Unit (CPU)

This behavior occurs because your computer processor detected an unrecoverable hardware error and reported it to Windows. For more information, contact the manufacturer of your computer.

You can track this error report by clicking the Track this error report link. If you choose to track your error report, you will be notified of resolutions to this problem as they are identified."

Then when I go to track it, it says it found a resolution & it says this:

"Thank you for submitting an error report. The error was likely caused by:

A hardware failure reported by your Central Processing Unit (CPU)

This behavior occurs because your computer processor detected an unrecoverable hardware error and reported it to Windows. For more information, contact the manufacturer of your computer."

Does this mean its my CPU thats going bad or is it something else???
SailCat
There's certainly reason for concern regarding the health of your processor, optomos. You didn't mention what it is, the age or make of the computer itself.

You might try diagnostic software (there are freeware versions around). You might also post back with more details. We'll help if we can!

~SC
optomos
Its a an old thunderbird 1.2ghz

the mobo is a soyo k7v dragon plus

ATI radeon 64mb

Creative labs audigy 2zs platinum pro

memory is kingston

I would usually blame the memory for creating freezes or reboots but this is saying that the CPU reported this error.

Right now im using the computer upstairs cause the freezing on the other comp is unbearable!!
Messenger
I assume you've checked to make sure the CPU fan is functioning OK. If it has stopped, that would be cause failures not unlike those you are having. It's quite uncommon for a CPU to actually fail in a normal processing environment unless it is pushed beyond it's limits - excessive heat from stopped fan or overclocking, power surge etc.
optomos
Your right but I wondered why it said the CPU reported a hardware failure. Nevertheless I figured it out! It was one of my memory sticks!! I was wrong about the memory I had. I opened my case up & I had one stick of crucial & one of corsair. I pulled em both out, put the corsair back in farthest away from the cpu & tried running my comp. It wasnt even 2 minutes & my copm restarted on its own giving me the same error reporting message. So I pulled the corsair out and put the crucial in; rebooted & since then it hasnt frozen up or rebooted on me! So I went out to Best Buy"again" smile.gif & bought a K-byte 512mb ddr to replace it.

Now I just need to figure out how to get a replacement for that piece of shit corsair since I dont remember where I got it. dry.gif Thnx for the help.
DutchKid
Lots of weird errors are caused by faulty memory...

If you can't find the prob, check your memory sticks...
boxcrash
Yeah memory can cause some very weird errors at times and the thing that sucks is that it is hard to find it if it is intermit. You can run hundreds of diag iterations on memoy and still have a bad stick, dang random access. biggrin.gif

Also though about 90% of the issues are software related, but then again with most of you guys, unlike alot of the people I deal with, you all know where the space bar is and what it is. tongue.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.