Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Linux
nForums.net > Information & Services > Suggestions & Help
Sn_ake
Just wondering if there are any pep out there using a UNIX flavour and if so would it be possible to create a little UNIX area incorperating info and q's on UNIX flavours such as linux, BSD, cisco IOS, ect.....
lokal
I use Linux, mostly Fedora/Redhat because I'm lazy; but I've rolled some custom distros in the past for certain things. I touched bsd, but that was about of the extent of that tongue.gif

PimpScourge
We had a linux area, but it was barely used. You can still post about unix/linux in the software, hardware, networking, etc sections.
optomos
Im taking unix next session so in 10 weeks ill be able to have some input. Right now we are on win2000 server.
Slace
i don't think there'd be a big enough demand for linux to warrent its own forum
Radnoken
I start my Unix/Linux Class on Monday, along with C and C++ programing, and Digital Circuits II
optomos
QUOTE (Radnoken @ Oct 25 2004, 09:46 PM)
I start my Unix/Linux Class on Monday, along with C and C++ programing, and Digital Circuits II

Whats your major?
Radnoken
Bachelors degree in Computer Engineering Technology
Boss429
What about FreeSCo?
any one heard of it?

http://www.freesco.org/
optomos
Its a software router....interesting. I just downloaded suse linux & im gona give it a try. See what all the rave is about.
Surtsey
SuSE is a horrible way to go if you ask me. It's, somehow, bloated but really lacking at the same time. The personal edition is slow and really doesn't come with much more than standard KDE applications. I haven't tried the professional edition but it comes with 6CDs of software so it's open to interpretation.

I'm a Gentoo user, when I feel like building a fast and powerful system.

Yoper or maybe Debian when I feel like a 15 minute installation.

Knoppix is alright I guess for giving people a taste of Linux at no more than the cost of one CD, but I honestly think it's horribly put together. Unorganized, incredibly ugly, not very friendly.

PHLAK is an interesting forensics tool, as is Hackin9 Live.

Damn Small is a really cool liveCD with Flux and a few basic applications. The ISO, that includes full hardware detection, a number of servers and client-to-server applications, X11 and, as I said, Fluxbox, is a mere 50MB. You can put it on those itty bitty CDs.

Dyne:Bolic isn't very practical but still neat. It aims at being a multimedia CD, and while the idea is noble it doesn't work too well in the real world. Mostly fun for dinking around or benchmarking new hardware.

Adamantix doesn't seem to have much going for it except it's hardened out of the box. Toted as one of the most secure linux distros (probably second to the NSA's distribution) it didn't seem to come with more than BASH and system tools. Maybe with Portage or Apt-Get it would be an interesting system.

LinSpire (Lindows) is horrible on all occasions, don't touch it. They commercialize LOTS of free software under the guise of their horrible package manager. It's slow as well.

Mandrake isn't really a favourite of mine, but it seems to get the job done well enough when you're in need of a system quickly. It has a nice array of software.

I think that's all the Linux CDs I have laying around. I'll try more distros once I get a stack of RWs. If you're new to Linux I say stick with Yoper or Debian (both have rather unruly installation processes, but you can get past it if you're not timid and you're smart enough to ask questions.) They provide pretty decent end-result systems. Gentoo is widely regarded as the guru's tinkerer's distro, and it's true to an extent. Gentoo's easily the most flexible distribution to date. It's incredibly fast, highly configurable, and can perform any task in any environment as well as any other distribution out there built for any specific thing. The bad side is that it's rather confusing to newbies. You won't have trouble though if you're willing to read, Gentoo has the best documentation out there.
Slace
I'm a mandrake fan for many years but as of recent I've become extreamly frustrated with the use of rpm's. I would love to move my server over to something like slackware but there's the issue of getting time to take it offline for half a day or so.

But I don't think I'd move off mandrake on my laptop. I tried to install slackware but the mandrake hardware detection is just so much more advanced that slackware was a right royal pain in the ass as nothing i needed was in the kernel!
But I've learnt a lot about linux since I last tried slackware that I'm tempted to try it again on my laptop

I am a knoppix fan though, as I do a lot of troubleshooting I find it great to use as a recovery disk
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.