Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Help with System Case Connections
nForums.net > Support > Hardware
forbin
Guys .. This is my 1st build .. I purchased a Mach Speed N2PAP-Ultra MB installed in a Antec CS200B Builders Series case. My confusion is connecting the front panel wires to the MB. I have a 4 over 5 Header configuration .. From the lousy graphics and horrible directions and my crappy eye sight .. The issue is the picture shows that the top row contains the 'Power LED' and 'Power Button' cable and the botton row contains the 'HDD LED' and 'Reset Button' cable.

My problem is that all the connecters are 2 pins except for the 'Power LED' which is 3 pins. The bottom row has one open pin (no big deal) .. but the top row does not have room for the 3 pin Power LED. The Power button and Reset button work fine.

Anyone have any clues? I was also thinking that to get around this problem (if no solution is found) I could use the 2nd or 3rd HDD LED cable (The Antec comes with 3 HDD LED's) and connect it to the 'Power LED' connection on the MB.

Any help and/or opinions?

P.S. The bios sees all my HW, so I'm pretty excited that this is the only stumbling block and was hoping that WinXp wouldn't complain too loudly on the different configuration. LOL .. Won't boot. Looks like it's time for ANOTHER reinstall.

Thanks
Messenger
As soon as your mainboard chipset changes, XP says "ahh no, you didn't really think it'd be that easy did you?" laugh.gif

With the 3 pin power LED wire, the pins at either end are your + and - with the centre either non functional or ground. Essentially, if get the + slot on the led wire onto a powered pin it may work if the centre is accepted as ground (-).
Are you using the 3 pin second fan power supply (SFAN2) on that board? (next to the USB2 connector)
Audiyoda
My Intel MB has the 'Power LED' 3 pin just off to the side of the main block of power connectors. I'm not framiliar with the MB at all, but it might be configured the same.
forbin
Thanks .. Nope not using the SFAN2 connector .. U think I could use that??

I could try to move the + wire to the middle pin (so I would use the 2 right most pins) .. But if the middle pin is not used then why would you use a 3 pin connector??
Was also thinking of connecting the second HDD LED to the Power LED .. I think I have options, but was curious if I was overlooking something

I also looked at my father-in-law's box and he also has a seperate location for the Power LED switch .. not mine though .. I was really going for budget on this box (The board was $75US with a $30 rebate) and mainly interested in getting a stable server .. Will build a decent box christmas time.
Messenger
QUOTE (forbin @ Oct 3 2004, 03:49 AM)
Thanks .. Nope not using the SFAN2 connector .. U think I could use that??

I would be *tempted* to use that strictly because it would be an "always on" supply as opposed to the HDD ones that flicker when your IDE ports transfer data.
I would however double check the power output from the fan plug first to ensure that it doesn't blow the LED entirely.
forbin
Thanks .. my thoughts exactly on the SFAN voltage output. I think my 1st attempt would be to relocate the + wire on the Power LED connector to the middle slot. Sounds safe and easy.
forbin
FYI .. I ended up just moving the power wire from the left most connector to the middle. Works like a charm.
Messenger
Cool ... glad it worked out smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.