Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: killing myself...
nForums.net > General > Whatcha Got Bitch!
Blue_Muppet
man, i drink too much, smoke too much.

fuck, i have calluses on my fingers from opening beer bottles too often, and nicotine stains on my fingers from smoking too much...im only fucking 20 years old...

i hear stories of youth suicide, and i dont think 'damn, thats unfortunate', but instead think of how fucked things can be, how emotion, money, and life can get me down, nad how im not alone, but alive...

why do i find life so hard as to resort to this crap? why do i listen to music that to most is depressing, but to me lifts me up for the companionship it provides for the feeling of depression that overwhlems me. fuck it why!?!?!?!?!

me, rant, needed to type this, dont care if you respond, just needed it...
Streetwise
Hey I've been through that phase too and you'd better pull yourself out of it coz if you don't it can become second nature and you would be like in and out of depressive spells all the time. Pulling yourself out of it is easier said than done. To begin with stop listening to depressive music and watching movies that have the same effect. Don't philosophise too much about things like the meaning life and how difficult it can be and so on. In fact avoid all "deep" discussions (with yourself and with others) and try to adapt a happy-go-lucky attitude. I hope the administration of the board is not becoming too much for you (I've noticed that it's been a hectic time for you lately) and if it is be very open and frank about it. And don't be ashamed to consult a psychologist.

Blue_Muppet
thanks for your concern mate.

first of all, nForums provides a needed release for me. its never a stress smile.gif

secondly, i've tried that, but attempts to move on seem to lead to inappropriate outbursts, and i think otherwise when attempting that.

also, i have seen professionals about this, and all they seem to recommend are drugs...fuck that. i am what i am, and im not into drugs to fix me...

as for depressing music, i seem to find that as a relative problem. i dont really listen to anything on a related topic, in fact some of my friends find it uplifting.

my problems seem to stem from the obscure...

i have money, full education, a high-paying job etc etc

my girlfriend is a social worker, so hence i know there are people much worse off than me, but yet i still struggle...

so far art work is my only release...
Streetwise
Artistic types are usually sensitive and prone to what you are going through. It's usually difficult to find the cause of your depression. When you think about it you've got everything an average guy would want. You are right about the professionals prescribing drugs. The possitive side about drugs like Prosac is that they bring you into a mood where you can see life in a different light (normally you are too depressed to see it that way). And looking on the bright side of life can become second nature. At that point you don't need the drugs any more. There are very few therapists who give you "coaching" without prescribing drugs. I have a colleague who has found such a therapist. Anyway I would stay open to all kinds of treatment. Good luck with whatever you decide.
hoioyske
Been there on a few occasions so Im talking from experience. The one thing that helped me the most was counsel. Be it a professional psychiatrist or a good social work counseller. Sometimes all you need to do is purge yourself of all the negitive stuff that builds up inside. If you have the money, I would highly recommend seeing a good psychiatrist, because they can help you to interpret your internal/subconscious emotions, and eliminate that feeling of helplessness. It worked for me!
DutchKid
Sometimes when everything is right peeps strugle the most. They actualy strugle coz they don't have any probs to focus on. So they are kinda lost as of what to do. The only solution to this is to find something and work on that. Or do as I do, head for the internet and try helping others smile.gif
Kilroy
QUOTE (DutchKid @ Mar 24 2004, 05:48 PM)
Sometimes when everything is right peeps strugle the most. They actualy strugle coz they don't have any probs to focus on. So they are kinda lost as of what to do. The only solution to this is to find something and work on that. Or do as I do, head for the internet and try helping others smile.gif

I totally agree. Its surprising what helping others can do when you are depressed or just hate the way things are going in your life. We ALL need an escape but helping others is the best escape there is!
Ratrap
QUOTE (DutchKid @ Mar 24 2004, 06:48 PM)
Sometimes when everything is right peeps strugle the most. They actualy strugle coz they don't have any probs to focus on. So they are kinda lost as of what to do.

Exact the Opposite with me biggrin.gif

OnT: I feel with you Blue_Muppet !!!
Blue_Muppet
thanks guys. i feel much better today...well, not much better, but a whole heap happier for now smile.gif

DK, Kilroy: im thirding that motion smile.gif
amourdevin
Clinical depression is often not the result of your environment or will but a lack of free neurotransmitters (e.g., serotonin, norepinephrine) in your body. Being the problem is often organic, the solution often is also. Members of my family swear by Effexor. These are not "happy" pills . . . they are "normal" pills.

Studies show that the most effective treatments are both drugs and counseling.
Streetwise
So if i understand you right, if you are suffering from Clinical depression you have to take pills all your life.
Messenger
As others have said, many times it can be a phase .... at around that same age I had moved out of home to a new city, had a great job, active social life and a great bunch of friends - but some nights I would just tell my friends I had something else to do, and I would sit on the boot of my car in my open garage, in the dark, wearing headphones playing either heavy or depressive music, smoking and drinking a bottle of bourbon from start to finish - for hours - contemplating my life and thinking whether I'll ever achieve real happiness - or whether it was even worth waking up the next morning sad.gif
I moved past that phase over time ... quite a long time though ....
Then, when I found out I had cancer I feel into a deep DEEP depression to the point where I almost topped myself that very night (broke pretty much every plate and glass in my house).... made it through that night and a few more with the help of booze ... but when I started treatment and saw the kids in the hospital being treated for leukemia it gave me some perspective and I battled through it. I'm currently in remission and happy with my life, but I still enjoy sitting in the dark listening to music and drinking occasionally.
amourdevin
So if i understand you right, if you are suffering from Clinical depression you have to take pills all your life.

Not necessarily. For some yes. For others, clinical depression can go into long periods of remission. Some life events can trigger periods of depression that linger long after the normal psychological healing has occurred. The drugs can help lift one out of that dark chasm and into remission without the need for continued drug use. Others will have a life long dependency on them. The answer is not necessarily.

I suspect but do not conclude that the relative youth of some of the board members might be a factor and yes they might grow out of it similar to how people grow out of childhood asthma. Still, that is small comfort to someone who is enduring depression and drugs seem to be a small price to pay for relief and an opportunity to enjoy life as oppose to enduring it.

Taking drugs is not attractive but when you are locked into a feelings of despair and hopelessness with no apparent reason (the reasons are internally organic), it is definitely a superior alternative.

There is also a related condition called bipolar disorder where one endures alternating periods of mania and depression. Mania is not always easily recognized at first.

Newer drugs like Effexor start to work quicker and have less side effects than many of the older ones.
Streetwise
Can somebody change the title of the thread? It's extreme; kind of hits me every time i read it.
Not necessarily. For some yes. For others, clinical depression can go into long periods of remission.

And what after the long periods of remission. Back on drugs? And what is the difference between "happy" pils and "normal" pils? Has it to do with how you feel after taking the pills? I'm curious because i read in the magazine "Psychology" some time back that some people's bodies do not make enough neurotransmitters so they have to take pills to compensate that which is more or less what you are saying.

Those of you who find this thread too depressive, sorry, but this is also part of life.

DutchKid
The topic title is up to BM...btw it suits his first post....
amourdevin
I edited my previous post and expanded on it some.

I need to leave for work soon but can post further upon my return.

Some life events (e.g., divorce, death, to a lesser extent moving, changing jobs) cause what I would call "normal" depression . . . a normal and expected reaction to the environment and the psychological assault. The maddening part of clinical depression is enduring those feelings in absence of such stimuli.

Xanax is an anti anxiety pill but it gives people a false sense of well being hence I informally label it as a "happy" pill. Antidepressents aim to and often succeed in making one fell "normal." One still feels joy and despair as is appropriate to their circumstaces. What is removed is feelings of hopelessness and despair that is inapproriate (and otherwise unexplained) to their circumstances.

Depressed people should NEVER take Exstacy (illicit drug) . . . actually no one should but it is especially dangerous for people who are clinically depressed. Exstacy works similar to a antidepressent but in a harmful way. Antidepressents raise levels of free neurotransmitters by limiting their reabsorbtion. Exstacy causes your body to dump them all at once often leaving you bankrupt of them after the high. Clinically depressed people already have low levels and definitely cannot afford this.

I definitely agree that doing some kind of volunteer work is definitely therapeutic. It might be a hard thing to do when you just want to throw the covers over your head and disappear but if you are like most people, you will be rewarded . . . not just in a nonselfish way but selfishly too. It is surprising just how much people feel better afterwards.

Late for work . . .
Deepone
hm.. I remember one day at school: a girl smiled for me while passing by (propably it was just for someone else but anyway.. it felt like she smiled for me). this caused me to think about that smile quite a lot. later I came to conclusion that I wanted to smile to others so that they might feel as good as I felt when I saw that smile. for some reason I now have about constant smile on my face.. rolleyes.gif
plus, lately, I have been reading one book. one tip it said about smiling is this...

action seems to be following feeling, but in reality the feeling and action are one, and by controlling action which is more easily controlled by will, we can transparently control emotion which is not so easily controllable.
thus at the moment of depression we have independent and controllable way to change facial expression, and that is by acting like we are happy already...

I admit I still get pretty bad depressions sometimes, might be I should see doctors about it but well.. still havent got to do that.hard to take the first step for me I assume. but good thing is that I seem to manage, apart from some moments which usually go off by sleepin.
well, anyway, I wasnt here to rant about my own bad feelings.. I dont know how the h*ll its possible, but yes, helping others helped me too. prolly one reason (along with feeling to be part of something) why I got so addicted to nfm too. I would guess its because of the smiley face others tend to get when one has managed to help them, all the more if its some unknown guy.. smile.gif
ManX
Amourdevin pointed out:

Taking drugs is not attractive but when you are locked into a feelings of despair and hopelessness, it is definitely a superior alternative.

Amourdevin makes an important point. While taking drugs to control depression (and other life-altering diseases) is by no means ideal, it is a far better choice than attempting to cope with the problem alone.

There is also a related condition called bipolar disorder where one endures alternating periods of mania and depression.

My next younger brother has dealt with bipolar disorder for more than 25 years. None of the family, including my brother, was aware of the actual problem until he was diagnosed about a decade ago... we only knew that he could go from joy to depression -and back- with no warning at all.

Considering the fact that my brother is a genius by any standards you care to use, and has been described by Tim Berners-Lee (the "Father of the World Wide Web") and other luminaries as one of only perhaps 100 people in the world with such an incredible depth and breadth of knowledge of software systems, it was painful for his friends and family to see him race through bursts of mania-induced productivity - followed by extended periods (sometimes 6 months or more) of depression and self-isolation.

Medication helped for a while (6 or 7 years, as I remember), but eventually my brother decided that he preferred the "natural state" of cyclical mania and depression to the "managed state" his medications induced - mainly because he felt that his creatitive abilities had been muted by the drugs. He has been off the medications for several years now, and though he still suffers from occasional sudden mood swings, he credits the years of managing his disorder with drugs for his ability now to deal with his disease on his own terms.

Given the tremendous stress that disorders such as these can cause, and the emotional impact on the life of those who suffer from them (and the lives of those who love and care about them), there should NEVER be any stigma attached to the use of medications that can help the sufferer live a more satisfying, comfortable, and fulfilling life.

I bear living witness...
-ManX
Taggard
QUOTE (Blue_Muppet @ Mar 24 2004, 01:38 PM)
why do i listen to music that to most is depressing, but to me lifts me up for the companionship it provides for the feeling of depression that overwhlems me. fuck it why!?!?!?!?!

what music in particular are we talking about, BM?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.