Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Orac 3 - A cult icon Revisited
nForums.net > Support > Hardware
Saint26
Ever since I saw the first series of Blakes 7 I have wanted my own Orac. For those that don't know, Blakes 7 was a late 70s/early 80s British Science Fiction series and Orac, the box in the picture above, was this intellectually snobbish, difficult and incredibly brilliant computer, hand built by an eccentric scientist. The special effects were straight out of 60's Star Trek and a lot of the props were converted from (or later converted to) props from other classic BBC series such as Doctor Who and The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (where the Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain looks like it was made by the same bloke!). I just thought it looked too damn cool, in a retro-futuristic way - plus it reminded me of most of the computers I have owned , being difficult, temperamental, making you feel stupid and simply refusing to help when you need it the most.

Seeing some of the nicer acrylic cases that were appearing, I decided to mod one of these cases into my own version of an Orac-type computer - I'll be calling the project Orac³ as it's my own Orac in a C³ case. Mine won't look much like the original though! The original Orac was a messy mish-mash of cheap electronics components and coloured Perspex. I plan on creating a tidy mishmash of expensive electronic components and coloured Perspex! I do still hope to retain some of the characteristics of the original Orac.

'http://www.bit-tech.net/article/114/

user posted image
Radnoken
Ive always liked some of his ideas.
Boss429
chrome and the wirecable + light = cool
SailCat
I saw the worklog on this project early on. The idea of using the flex from handheld personal showers is brilliant. I'm considering steali, er, borrowing this idea for my next upgrade. Though I don't use an acrylic case, it'd look interesting through a case window.

Thanks, Saint26.

~SC
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.