Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: What to Do??
nForums.net > Support > Hardware
dInferno
Here is the deal, I have a P4 3.4 CPU and an Intel 915pbl MB. I could buy a quadro video card, 1 gig ram, 250 sata hd, and 16x dvd burner for around $1000.

but I'm thinking of selling my cpu and mb, take the mony from that plus the $1000 and buy a really good laptop. I found a laptop for $1400, with a 3400 athalon 64, 1 gig ram, 80 gig hd, and ati 9600 graphics (not intigrated).

so now I'm not sure what to do. any thoughts or advice would help!

oh, if your curious, I do mostly 3d animation, and video editing. I have another desktop I can use for games.

thanks

dInferno
TWINE006
It really just depends on what you want, plain and simple. Price-wise, you're getting less power in a laptop but the fact that it is easily mobile is a plus... if that is what you're looking for. On the other hand, for thge same amount you can obviously get some more juice out of a desktop.

Just take into consideration whether or not you'd actually take advantage of a laptop's mobility or not. If you don't need it, screw it and go desktop... if the mobility would benefit you, well there you go.

Yeah yeah, blatantly obvious stuff, but it really is your choice.
lokal
I have a tosbiba p4/9600/1gb laptop and I've been pretty happy with it. I don't do any video editing but performance is pretty decent. The only downside is when I use it on the couch or in bed I need to have it on a solid surface for airflow otherwise it overheats. I'm sure an athlon would be as bad or worse. All in all I wouldn't go back to a desktop, especially since it travels with me from work/home/other.
optomos
Just take into consideration whether or not you'd actually take advantage of a laptop's mobility or not. If you don't need it, screw it and go desktop... if the mobility would benefit you, well there you go.

Same here.

If the most important thing to you is video editing & 3d animation then you should stick with the desktop. Also the P4 is a better cpu for 3d animation especially if used with adobe software.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.