Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Networking probelms caused by spyware
nForums.net > Support > Networking
Jobefx
I have a computer at work that i tried to use and realized that it had spyware. I ran both adaware and spybot. It got rid of most of the spyware... over 300 hundred instances. But now I can not hit the network at all. I uninstalled and reinstalled the networking protocols but that didnt help. Anybody got any ideas? I really cant afford to format the computer.

Thanks
jobefx
lokal
I guess first step would be to determine if its browser, proxy or network related.

Rule out network:
start-run
telnet www.google.com 80
<in black window>GET http://www.google.com

get a response then its not network

if its not network; make sure there isn't a proxy configured (unless there is supposed to be one)

failing that, the easy solution would be to use msn explorer to download firefox

if it is network related, make sure you are getting a valid ip address; make sure you can ping the gateway on the network; make sure you don't need to configure a proxy

outta time for now
Jobefx
I couldnt ping google. so i tried to ping the router, that doesnt work either. I can not obtain an ip address from the router either. It acts as if the network cable is unplugged (I did check this though it is plugged in, i even swapped it for a new one, same problems though). THis is very frustrating. stupid spyware.

Jobefx
lokal
Might want to check to see if port 67 is being blocked, or just disable windows firewall completely and re-try "repair" your connection. Alternately hard code in an IP address you know isn't being used and re-check network conectivity.
Boss429
on a different pc, look into fixing /remvoing LSP

This type of software is known as a Layered Service Provider or LSP, a piece of software that can be inserted into the Windows TCP/IP handler like a link in a chain. However, due to bugs in the LSP software or deletion of the software, this chain can get broken, rendering the user unable to access the Internet.

Unfortunately, this type of software is sometimes quietly installed by unrelated software such as file-sharing programs, sneaking onto a system unannounced. In fact, in many cases, the user does not know of its existance until something goes wrong, and he/she can no longer access Web sites. Common offenders include New.net* (NEWDOTNET) and WebHancer*, which are often bundled with file-sharing utilities, DVD player software, and other free downloads. LSP-Fix repairs the Winsock LSP chain by removing the entries left behind when LSP software is removed by hand (or when errors in the software itself break the LSP chain), and removing any gaps in the chain.

LSP-Fix is not a malware removal utility and does not target specific products. LSP-Fix does not delete any files.

There are different version of it so lok around at them.

that is y theory on what the prob is, adaware and spybot may remove the program the inserted code, but may no remove or correctly remove and fix the TCIP stuff.

Jobefx
THANK YOU!!

lspfix worked. adaware damaged the winsock lsp when is removed something. It took 2 minutes to run lsp fix -- a quick reboot and it was fixed. I thought i was going to have to reinstal windows this was much easier.

thanks again
jobefx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.