Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Microsoft Vs. Spyware?
nForums.net > Information & Services > Public News
spidermanx
Well, I figured we needed a bit of news on these boards, so im going to open things up with an article about microsoft...

QUOTE (internetnews.com)

March 26, 2004

"So-called spyware is turning the Internet into a billboard. We are going to help users be in control and know what [spyware] is on their system and if they don't want it they can get it off their system," said Gates. The chairman of Microsoft spoke before an audience of about 500 near the end of the two-day conference for clients and partners.

you can read more about it here: hump://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3332341

So, Microsoft is going to start cracking down on spyware, what are your thoughts?

I think its about time, but with all the "freeware" out there dedicated to tracking/getting rid of spyware(spybot, ad-aware, etc.) that it is not needed, but good to know that the M$ crew has been working harder to help the general public, and less "computer savy" folks.
Audiyoda
I was always unde the impression that Mickysoft=Spyware.
Blue_Muppet
I was always unde the impression that Mickysoft=Spyware.

me too....

im a little hesitant to be happy about this, as i tend to find that when large corporations start saying they are going to 'create awareness' and 'get the consumer more control', it tends to really mean that the company is going to benefit more than the actual user, who will remain in the dark, and even be more confused than when it all started...

still, if they can get it working, then best of luck to them smile.gif
DutchKid
Yeah, they are gonna make us aware of the spyware that MS didn't put in, and not making us aware of the companies that paid them to hide their spyware.....

Don't trust MS one bit....
Tews
Sorry Guys, but I dont agree...

First, MS cant guard you from anything... Spyware, like Viruses, are YOUR responsibility to safegaurd against. I think its really kind of silly to expect anyone other than yourself to insure that your computer is secure. Can MS do better about problems that originate from within their own programs.. you bet!! Will they ever completely close all the holes.. Nope.. remember that XP has almost 1.5 MILLION lines of code, and Longhorn will have more than that. However, if you use a GOOD antivirus program, a good firewall ( even better a router ) and regularly check on AV updates, Windows updates, you should be realitivly safe...
dInferno
no matter what MS does, I'll still use spybot and ad-ware.
artzelda
Look spyware and adware will be with us for a long time. As long as there is money to be made these guys will exist.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.