Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Trying to listen to burned CD's
nForums.net > Support > Video & Audio
optomos
I bought me a new ride and the stock head unit does not like burned cd's.

On some it will take forever to read, then it will work only untill you skip a track, then you have to wait again till it can read it. Some cd's, it just wont play at all. Each cd has been burned differently; some were in bin/cue format and some were converted from mp3 to audio cd format.

Whats the problem? Is it the software im using? Any ideas.... Tnx
Audiyoda
Plenty of head units for mobile audio don't like CD-R's. Ever noticed units that are sold often say 'CD-R ready' or something to that effect? My Tundra stock unit wouldn't play my CD-R's regardless of what I used to burn them. The issue is that a CD-R is about 88% as reflective as a pressed CD. For a car head unit, that 12% is night and day. With all the motion the head unit goes through on a daily basis, the laser can't track a CD-R correctly.

My best advice would be to find an affordable head unit that will read CD-R's.
Messenger
What speed are you buring the discs at?
Burn using quality cd's at max of 4x burn speed to improve playability on picky head units
optomos
I was afraid you would say that. The problem with the system in my car is that it is a Bose system. If I replace the HU I will loose the sub in the back and some other issues. So basically I guess I better look into gettting a new speaker setup.... sad.gif

Any tips on a good speaker setup? What are some good speaker manufactures out there?
mcelb1200
err... why will you lose the sub in the back? What's wrong with installing your own crossover? You could probably get away with a passive xover, or you could get an active one with an amp... no need to ditch the speakers dude!
optomos
The way the system is setup it wont work. Im just gona have to redo it. What pisses me off the most is that I cant listen to burned music! I did find an old cd-r that actually worked, but cant figure out why the new ones dont unsure.gif
mcelb1200
any chance the new ones are 80min cdr's whereas the earlier one might have been 70min? I believe they write further out on the disk, maybe the head unit can't track properly in these other areas?
optomos
QUOTE (mcelb1200 @ May 8 2005, 07:02 AM)
any chance the new ones are 80min cdr's whereas the earlier one might have been 70min? I believe they write further out on the disk, maybe the head unit can't track properly in these other areas?

I have some old PNY 80min cdr's & they work. They were burned about 3-4 years ago. It might be the Memorex ones that im using now that are the problem. It could also be the older burner was able to write slower than 8x? Dont know. Will have to get my hands on a old burner & try it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.