Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Hooking up a bass guitar to a PC
nForums.net > Support > Video & Audio
Pikaporeon
Any simple way or cable i can get to hook up my bass guitar to my PC?

I currently own:
My bass (Fender Squire)
A fender cabinet amp
An effects pedal (will get brand if needed)
Two 20 foot cables.

Any cable that would just go from the effects or the bass into the LineIn on PC? or do i need a soundboard or something to that degree

I have my Windows PC with stock software, and a mac laptop i could do this on, but the laptop does not have a line in so id need something USB or FireWire for that
Audiyoda
Does your amp have a preout? If it does, go from that to the LINE IN (not MIC IN) on your soundcard. You'll need a 1/4" to 1/8" cable (on an appropriate adapter for a standard 1/4" cable) since I'm assuming one of your cables goes from the bass to the pedal and the other from the pedal to the amp.
Pikaporeon
I dont believe it has preout.

Also, is it possible to skip the amp all together? Maybe go from bass to pedal to LineIn?
Audiyoda
Wouldn't be my first suggestion - but if it's all you've got, it will work.
Oli-G
^^ Is correct... but I found the easiest way is to go direct from pedal to soundcard.

You'll just miss out on the natural sound of the fender amp.

I tack a jack converter to one end of a standard guitar cable into the sound card, and the other end simply goes to the line out port of my GT-6 (assuming your pedal has one, if not, some people get away with using the headphone output).

Ideally if you have a mic lying around, throw that into the sound card and put it in front of the amp.

Let us know how you go wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.