Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: DV -> HD conversion...
nForums.net > Support > Video & Audio
Awai
As the march to HD moves forward heres a company which is offering software which can convert your "old" (hehe) stylie DV footage to band spanking new HD. Bear in mind that it wont increase the quality of your footage to HD but does convert it to a format HD will understand. It costs $249.95 but does come with a Dolby AC3 encoder which willbe a god send to any one doing DVD authoring and is sick to death of the sheer size of PCM audio, although i'm uncertain at this time as to whether the AC3 encoder is Dobly Certified or simply one of the GNU, public domain developed alternatives.

www.transitionsoftware.com

Transition HD is an innovative new software program that allows users the ability to extend their video projects into high definition formats using patent pending pixel cloning high definition conversion software.

Transition HD is an easy-to-use, flexible and powerful tool for the conversion of video content into high definition video using various media formats including AVI, WMV, and MPEG. The software also converts the audio portion of each video project into Digital Dolby 5.1 (AC-3) audio, which is the standard audio format for HD.

Transition HD is a great high definition conversion solution when combined with the capacity of Blu Ray HD (50 GB) and DVD HD DVDs (30 GB). These high-capacity DVD formats can store over 2-hours of video content (the length of most feature films) in HD formats.

Flexible

Transition HD provides producers with the ultimate in HD flexibility. Including:

- Conversion wizard and expert mode to support all user experience levels.
- Choice of HD frame sizes including standard television formats in HD.
- Choice of interlacing or progressive scan lines.
- Choice of video compression including numerous system codecs.
- Choice of frame speeds and quality level for each project.
- Choice of audio output formats including HD Digital Dolby 5.1 (AC3).

Awai.
Jobefx
$250 is a good price for just an AC3 encoder, so thats good. But do people really need a dv to Hd convertor? Most of the Nonlinear editors can up convert for you. Avid can, Final cut can. and I am pretty sure premier can. Heck you can even upconvert to cineon format if you use after effects. Whats special about this thing? does it just convert better? faster?
Just curious
Jobefx
Audiyoda
QUOTE (Jobefx @ Sep 21 2005, 01:46 PM)
$250 is a good price for just an AC3 encoder, so thats good. But do people really need a dv to Hd convertor? Most of the Nonlinear editors can up convert for you. Avid can, Final cut can. and I am pretty sure premier can. Heck you can even upconvert to cineon format if you use after effects. Whats special about this thing? does it just convert better? faster?
Just curious
Jobefx

But most consumers aren't going to mess with NLE's that can handle up converting. They have DV and want it in HD - one simple program to take care of the job - consumers will jump at it.

And for us pros that already have gigabytes of old DV footage we want up converted, I don't want to run everything though my NLE just to get HD - I'll 'dummy down' to get the task taken care of simpler/easier/quicker.
Awai
good points guys. I've no idea if its faster as i've not really had a need for purchasing it yet - i've done a bit more research and it looks a bit "bolted together" for my liking. I've got a client coming onboard shortly who wants a project shooting in HD which will be interesting.

I agree with Audiyoda that consumers will be wanting a "one click" solution, which explains the popularity of DVD-Shrink over reauthoring a DVD.

JobeFX is right though, i hadnt considered that Prem et al would do the upconvert for me...

interesting stuff.

Awai.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.