Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: I'm not lining up at the store
nForums.net > General > Philosophy
Janie
The major shops have opened at 5 this morning for "Black Friday". I don't know who came up with that, the consumers or the stores, but I won't be doing the over consumerism this holiday season.
And sorry, but I don't call it holiday season either. I call it Christmas.
When I was young we spent Christmas morning with our family, and then went around to friends to see what they got. We did not have to bring them an elaborate gift. We just enjoyed the day. There was no stress and credit cards were not maxed out.
Why did we ruin it?
Ratrap
I don't like Christmas ... i don't hate it i just don't care about it.

I don't want gifts.

Christmas is just a bunch of days with boring TV shit biggrin.gif
Janie
Your feelings about Christmas don't surprise me! wink.gif
Pikaporeon
Arguably this could be in Whatcha gotta bitch..

I'm an Atheist, and I still call it Christmas season. No need to dispense with what the season was for even if it displays favouritism to a faith, Christmas is the source of the mass consumerism that takes place here and is named thus.
Janie
I don't believe "Christmas" is the source of the mass consumerism. It's happening on many different holidays. "Christmas" does not make you open the wallet and go far into debt. "Christmas" does not make you think you can buy your kids a fancy gift insted of doing something special with them. I can remember very few gifts from when I was young, but I do remember my father taking us out sledding in cardboard boxes.
I think the mass consumerism comes from us thinking that money and heart are interchangeable.
Deepone
well, it certainly has given me trouble.. as during the last few years when I've actually asked what I would like to get as xmas present, I've just replied "xmas mood." and oh boy that makes some pretty funny and weird faces to the person asking.. smile.gif
but its unfortunate that its all about buying stuff these days sad.gif
Janie
I guess each person has to take their own responsibility for how they handle the issue. I made some cookies yesterday and a few gifts today. It made me happy to be making the stuff.
Deepone
its funny tho.. just noticed yesterday, I kinda have the xmas feeling now already. even if I have lacked it for few years.. gf's do wonders, I guess =)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.