Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: why anime arouses such a strong feelings ?
nForums.net > General > Philosophy
Deepone
what are your thoughts about the subject ? It seems that anime either makes you like it, or hate it... but both with passion, most of the time. Of course i realize this might be that only the people who share that passion regardless of their opinion seem to be talking a lot about it, but...anyway, I have seen same kind of reactions that some religious acitivists have against something, but against anime. Does anyone know reasons that are behind this one?
Pikaporeon
I'm not rightly sure. Perhaps the fact that we can still enjoy animated entertainment, a throwback to our younger years, while often having deeper meaning than many "adult" series, coupled with the fact there are effects and action you cannot show through special effects that are simple to draw is part of what can enthrall.

As to the religious activists against anime, arsed if I know. They've targeted some pretty stupid things
Deepone
As to the religious activists against anime, arsed if I know. They've targeted some pretty stupid things

i meant that with the same fire of feelings and same passion, but instead of for example al-qaida feeling against us, some ppl just show the same hatred against anime... its really weird to be around them, given that I like anime a lot myself :/
Blue_Muppet
i think a lot of people are threatened by anime. I think it attacks their fundamental views of what a 'cartoon' can be, and they feel out of place when what they normally considered immature can reflect, approach, or question their own thoughts and feelings in such a profound way.

With most people directly attuned to sitcoms, large-budget films, and reality TV that all endevour to relate to 'real-life' situations, they can get thrown back by an animated movie or series that attempts similar situations, and are therefore are immediatly on the defensive.

If you aren't comfortable with something, you either adapt, withdraw, or object. same happens with religion, as you said.
jarhu
I, personaly, haven't seen really fundamental hatred against anime. I like to watch anime. My mom would like it too I think. And many of my friends like it too. Some of them have this funny attitude against it, but it's mostly becouse they feel that anime if for kids only.
Deepone
yes, it might be that the attitude for it comes partly for thinkin its for kids only, and then they encounter something that is actually done with adults in mind. What I have been thinking is that it also creates a bit easier way to create immersion, since the characters are not so much looking like someone, but rather some kind of type of person. Thus, when someone sees and feels the immersion, they got on the defence because they get scared of that, they feel uneasy about something like anime arousing such feelings or immersion in them - and the only way they can let those feelings out is by hatred, the way most ppl react to something un-expected and/or new.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.