Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Registry "Writer"?
nForums.net > Support > Software
Ratrap
Hello, i will try to explain what i search with my limited english ^^

Well since i get a Computer all the Games on my second HDD won't work anymore because they are not installed anymore.

Is there a way to to export the Registry of Game X and import them to the new Windows?
jarhu
If I understood you right, you mean that you have windows installed on an old computer and you'll do fresh windows installation. Now you want to export registry. I don't know any easy way to do it this way.

There's a way using microsoft's own "regedit"- program to export registry keys. I don't actually recommend to do this if you don't really know what you're doing. There are little problems when you want to export keys. You need to know what keys to export, and where they are. And it depends who has programmed it.

I recommend to consult friend who knows these things if you have one. Maybe you don't have one since you have wrote here. My memory is not good enough since army nullifies my brains. biggrin.gif And time is limited. Otherwise I could write detailed info if you want.
Deepone
yes, you could do that with regedit, and it shouldnt be too hard either. Mainly, like jarhu said, the problem resides with choocing only the game-related entries from there.. you CANNOT export all and import them or you will most likely ruin your new installation of windows since there is a lot of system-data there as well. Just to tell example of what it might cause is that the new windows would think that the hardware is still the same as in the older installation, or that there is only available certain technologies that are supported, and something isnt anymore supported and it tries to use that -> bsod would be most likely outcome. If it even would start.. smile.gif
anyway, two of the most likely places to find the games: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> SOFTWARE. it might be that they are not the only places there are, its a complicated system and shouldnt be messed if there isnt need. Of course you could just use its search function but it aint quaranteed to catch all instances either. most likely the safest and easiest and simply best way would be just to copy the safe-games somewhere, and then reinstall the games on the new windows, to the same location where it was previously installed at. Then, if even necessary, you could copy the saves back. Updating games would be better done before that thought.. if that is necessary.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.