Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: My extern hdd dosnt work
nForums.net > Support > Hardware
Sic
Hello guys and girls...

I have just bougt a new laptop and a extern box for my 120hdd, its a old (1 1/2year) matox hdd, but when I plug it in the usb (2,0) then its say thats it is working, but I cant find it anywhere..... it is xp home edition on the laptop... but the laptop hdd is ntfs and the extern hdd is fat32, could it be therefor? or something els? I cant format the hdd couse there is alot on it that I havnt backup...sad.gif any ideas what to do?

Thx mates...

Sic
Saint26
The problem is not with the format type (ntfs, fat32). Can you see the drive in Disk Manager?

Administrative Tools> Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management.
Sic
yeah i can.... I think... not 100% sure, only 95... it is a home... gonna see when I come home... but I think I can.....
Sic
it isnt in the disk Management.... what can I do then?
Saint26
If XP Disk Manager doesn't see the drive, there is no way any other xp tool will see it. How do you know it's working?

Does the "Safely Remove Hardware" box show anything plugged in to the USB port? What about Device Manager? If you post the model # of the external hdd, perhaps I can do some research on this.
Sic
Well the "Safely Remove Hardware" comes up, and where I go into this computer, then the extern hdd starts working, but dosnt show, same thing with disk management....

But I can see it under usb media, it says that there is a hdd plug into usb port....

It is a maxtor 120gb...

Could it be the Xp usb driver that needs a opdata?
Timelapse
I had a similar problem once... I had mapped a drive to E:, and for some reason the USB drive wanted to map to E:, but couldn't... and it wouldn't skip and go to F:. So, I switched my mapped drive to Z:, and all is well... I dunno if you might have a similar conflict.

TL
DutchKid
Maybe you'll have to set your LASTDRIVE setting to Z: ... Not sure if this applies to XP though biggrin.gif
Pikaporeon
I had this problem, but i wasnt the one who solved it. from what i got the impression of, I ASSUME you have Admin prvs. If so make sure your USB ports are enabled. (as when I was running 2000 w/o admin they were actually disabled)
DutchKid
XP enables them by default plus it does detect that a device is being plugged in...but it doesn't show in the Explorer...

Does it show in the Hardware overview screen? If so, under what name?
Sic
only place it shows is under usb..
DutchKid
As what ?
Sic
found the problem..... the F...... thing didnt work mad.gif but I got a new one now and itīs working
but thx for all the help smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.