Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: PC Specs + Crossfire? How? And ... RAM Full???
nForums.net > Support > Hardware
Ratrap
- Intel® Pentium® Extreme Edition 955 (Boxed, FC-LGA4, "Presler")

- Asus P5WDG2-WS (2x 16xPCIe, 2x G-LAN, SATA II RAID) Crossfire Chip

- OCZ DIMM 2 GB DDR2-1000 Timing CL5 5-5-15

- Thermaltake "Tai-Chi" Tower

- Doublelayer Burner + Sony DVD

- 1 x Western Digital "Raptor WD360GD" 10.000 RPM (5,2/8192/10000)
1 x Seagate 250 GB
1x Western Digital WD3000JS 300GB

- Thermaltake Toughpower 750 Watt(German =P)

- 1 x Asus Extreme AX1900 CrossFire + 1 x Asus Extreme AX1900XT/2DHTV

- Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

After the damn Internet Problem i got it running, the newest ATI driver don't work, i get funny pics ... So i installed an older driver, activated Crossfire but aquamark 3 crashed all the time. And some mins ago i got the error RAM full ... can't start anything.

I'll NEVER build my own PC again ... They cheched for the parts to run together but nothing seems to work, i think the RAM error occures as soon as i activate Crossfire sad.gif

But i can feell the power my pc biggrin.gif the first 3 minutes of Aquamark 3 (Before buescreen) are running twice as fast(i think thats a hint that's something wrong) as my friends PC but with FPS of 190, he got 60 xD

Hope i will get crossfire working ... Damn drivers.
Deepone
maybe the trouble is with ax1900 crossfire edition not being the XT-edition as well.. even thought it should be working. or maybe its just the immaturity of the drivers. but because of the ram-error, I guess you should check out what memtest says - just in case.
also check out from bios how much it gives ram to the cards - it might be worth checking if there is new version of it too. Just thought that if it gives x MB ram to the graphic adaptor, and then you activate crossfire and it does the same thing for it as well and thus ends up using way too much - or ends up screwing the windows memory system by takin up some and windows seeing that its in use even if its not registered as such and then BSOD:ing itself.
Just few thoughts from where I would look it up first, I'm not sure if they help or if you checked those possibilities out already smile.gif
Ratrap
RAM is fine.

I've 2 suggestions,

1. Sound Card

2. I am a fucking noob and too stupid to get an ATI Driver working.

Everytime i start AquaMark 3 my Comp crashs with a bluescreen after the first test(Maybe because it wants to test sound)

Same happens if i start Dark Star One, bought it some days ago.

Since i can't work on hardware i can't test it, like running only 1 Graphic Card etc.

Comp works great, surfing, installing is hyper fast. But as soon as it gets to 3 D Stuff like Games i get Bluescreens :-/
Ratrap
user posted image

sad.gif with or without deactivated Soundcard, same.
jarhu
I'm interested. Which programs give the BS?
Ratrap
Dark Star One, Heroes of Might and Magic 5, Oblivion, WoW ... Winamp etc working fine.
Deepone
just to try to isolate the problem, have you tried to run dxdiag (start -> "run.." -> type dxdiag to box and run it) and see which gives most trouble ? maybe enable/disable fast-write or what it was called, this was on the display tags if I recall correctly.
btw, from what I saw on the net it seems that all those are using Open-gl.. I'm not sure about that thought, but if that is the case then maybe there is a problem on that part of drivers. Do you have possibility to test if it crashes for game you know to run opengl and for another game known to run at direct3D ? the compliance to latter can be tested fully by using dxdiag btw..
Ratrap
I've run "memtest".

After i booted it and started the check it found many errors and was freezing.

Now i hope it's the RAM(Great 499€ for 1000mhz NEW RAM and it's damaged?) and will get a new one asap.

DXDiag ... no errors. Open GL or D3D Doesn't matter(Tested with Counter-Strike).
Deepone
alrights.. but before you return it you should try to change the memory timings to different settings from the BIOS - that solved my problem. althought for me it was pretty darn clear the error was somewhere else: I have 256Mb and 512Mb piece, and the errors were shown first at 254-256 area when I had only that one, and on 510-512 are when the bigger piece was in, and finally.. when both were in the errors were at 767-768mb area. Played around with them, and by putting the RAS-TO-CAS delay one step higher and others to minimum I got it working =)
basically you should just test one setting (because of the rams being new, try to put them to as LOW -best- as possible) at time and see which is the optimal setup which you get it working. of course it eases if you can test by removing the other one and then putting it back and taking the other one out if only one of them is faulty or if its a similar problem than mine was. Of course, since its new you should get new ones for free at no expense - the process is eased if you can show them for example a pic taken by camera on the memtest screen that it really is faulty.
EDIT: it does sound pretty serious thought, as memtest itself is rarely freezing.. when i ran it on my comp it didnt do that even if it found errors (they were all the same type: ffffffff had changed to ffffff8f)..
Ratrap
I am afraid that it is just showing errors but the RAM would run. Today i am going to test first One and then the other one. If both seem damaged i try my friends RAM, it's non dual-chan, and the board has 2 x 2 colours, how to install the non dual RAM?

Memtest is freezing alot on that comp, if i boot with floppy or CDRom.
Boss429
yea checkign the ram one stick at a time is good. Double check the mobo setup guide too make sure your using the default Dual Channel setup as well. Usually its 0+2 and then 1+3 for the ram banks. But maybe 1+3 need to be used before 0+2 you get the idea.

You can mixed one stick of your and one stick of buddies as well.. but your ram will downclock to the bus speed of the friends memory or vice versa.

you can also try Dr.Watson (built into windows) to help analyze when something crashes.

I have reports of and friends had it happen as well, where certain parts dont like each other.. not hardware wise driver wise.

For instance I think the Rapter HD and some ATI or PSU things are not as friendly for some ppl. If possilible use one of your other HDs as a boot drive and load windows there. and see if same errors occur, via either one mem stick or both and same with video cards.

As DeepOne was sayign about the MB allocations for RAM.
Basically opn my system i have a 4gb max on mobo. 1gb x 4 slots. if I try to use 4 gb. It will only show and use 3-3.5 in windows. This is due to the fact taht the 32bit memory allocations in winxp and the mobo. If it is server 2k3 32bit should be an allocation problem or on a 645bit version of windows. The system bios uses a chunk of the RAM to store system information which becomes unseen/un sualbe by windows 32bit non server.

I am slowly getting up to speed on DDR2. This may not be the same problem as with DDR. However Why would you go witH CL 5 RAM? I i have CL 2. Genereally the lower the timings the better.

Abotu defect RAm.. Well from what I have been told by stores and suppliers is that OCZ though really good RAM alos has teh highest returns. But I do not know how many of them are from overclockers. Because of that I went with Corsair.

What version of DX are you using? I th nk HoMM 5 should ask you to insatll DX9.0c make sure that is up-to-date.

And before i end this long post...

Make sure you do have the most Rescent Bios Version for motherbaord, DX, chipset drivers, if its a Raid board and you have sometjhing plugged into one of the controllers.. even though your no using raid make sure its disabled or at least (if avbailable) turned to an appropriate setting like SATA2 or SATA or siomething.

oh and with the 1900 Xfire and the 1900XT the xt will just prefrom as best as the Xfire edition card so the compatiblity is not really the issue. What Catylyst versions have youtried. You may need to have a Xfire driver edition installed first im not sure. but you should take a look in the advanced display protperties settings tab to see if there are any fine tunning or enalbing or disabling options when to do with Xfire.

Boss429
oHH~

aND i Recall that ASUS mother boards are nictorious for having souncard issues when they are plugged into a certain slot.. I haventy looked at your motherboard to see but previously if a sound card was pluggedinto the 2 or 3 rd PCI slot there was IRQ cohnflicts.
Boss429
OH! And HERE:

· Q: Problems with the testing of some graphic cards using the Aquamark program.
· A: Our test with the ATI PCI-E X800 Sapphire Fireblade card wasn't completely executed on any of our four computers and either crashed or announced the error: TERMINATION: Exception Caught Code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION Info: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access. The solution is to replace the old Direcpll.dll file in the directory of the installed Aquamark program with a newer version of the file. (http://www.futuremark.com/download/hotfix/3dmark03/)
Ratrap
Thank you Boss

This is the result of my test:

I've tested 1 GB part alone with memtest and Windows Tool for checking RAM, no errors.

I've tested the second part alone, no errors.

But as soon as i use both RAM parts it gives errors. I use same coloured banks.

About HDD, wll i bought the 10.000RPM just for my OS sad.gif

My System is running fucking awesome if i run just 1 GB RAM, 3DMark6 made 8000 points! I am number 2 online.

Do you think i should change my RAM for faster ones? I thought 1000mhz is fastest, and that's the reason it costs 500+ dollar?
Deepone
If I recall it correctly, when Tom's hardwareguide tested the memories, none of the 1000MHz chips reached it...
anyways, try plugging the other to other-coloured one and the other to other one. that would be like...
1 2 <- instead of this way...
|_| |_|
1 2 <- try them this way. basically all combinations are worth testing. sometimes it does the trick with very weird errors.

it might be because of the motherboard thinking that they are dual-channel.. so, another alternative would be to see if there is option at BIOS for disabling the dual channel mode for good.
Ratrap
But they ARE dual-chan sad.gif

I'll ask for giving me back the money or change the RAM.
Deepone
oh well a bit late but here it is:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/04/11/live_memory_test/

they tested pretty many memories.. smile.gif

butw if they are dual chan, then you should return them and ask for new ones.. obviously it doesnt seem to work - the problem might be at the motherboard thought, as both of them seemed to work just fine on their own.
Boss429
the mhz numbers do imply they are faster.. just like PC 100/133 DDR 266-333-400-433-500-667 etc. but the 4 numbers at the end of the RAM also matter. your Cas Latency, RAS/CAS etc they are memory timings. They can affect how well that 400/667/1000 mhz can preform. Just be cuase your car can go 240mph does not mean that is acheiving that speed in the most efficient matter.

I will look into it further for timings on DDr2. but at least with DDR, the lower the timings of the ram...

a sequence of 4 numbers something liek : 2-3-3-6

Generally the lower the numbers the more effiecient and seemingly quicker the RAM acts. That is the sequence of my RAM. my motherboard originally had them setup in BIOS as 3-3-3-8 and while I changed themto be the manufacture of the ram specified there was a minor imporvement.. nothign really visible but at least it is in the most effienct set up.

I believe this is the RAM you have:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo...tc_dual_channel

You did grab a DC kit not just to of the singles?

Try running them not in DC.... ie slots 0+1 insteadn of 0+3.

Boss429
As I have read your timings should be fine...

review here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=461&num=1

I will do some research on the motherboard later as well...
Boss429
Oh. and newegg has the ram (if its same) for 469USD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...MP=OTC-d3alt1me
Ratrap
Could it be that my board doesn't support 1000mhz RAM? It's saying BUS 800 - 1066 Quadro

But it's also saying:

Memory DDR2-400 (PC2-3200), DDR2-533 (PC2-4200), DDR2-667 (PC2-5300), DDR2-800 (PC2-6400)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.