Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Specialty Valve Sales Ltd.
nForums.net > Art & Design > Webdesign
Boss429
Attention you designers you!

During my summer employment I have been asked to create the company website. Since I have never done one for a company before, I would like some preliminary guidelines.

What type of information should I get at minimum to start a design?

What I have:
  • Company Name
  • Slogan
  • History of company
  • Products/Services
  • Rough Logo (from letterhead)
  • Rough Colouring Idea Green/Grey/White
  • Owner wants an industrial theme
  • **I think KISS rule applies because the company is very small**

I have found a template on OSWD.org that I liked. I played with it to get colouring and looks a bit, added a logo some company jargon, and just testing it for useablity.

The demo thing I was playing is:
templatetest

and I forgot to link the contact page that I was messign with:
contact test

====

I am also looking for some help with choosingn a method to create it. I LIke PHP and CSS. But do I attempt to get somethign in PS ready then turn it to a Dreamweaver/Frontpage Template that they can update easeier while I return to school.

Please give me your thoughts. I will aim to have this done before the end of August.

July may be crazy as I get to migrate the accounting system form MYOB to Simply Accounting.

Thanks Guys.
Awai
^ sorry to jump in on your topic Boss but could i ask why your switching from MYOB?

website template looks good - from a first impression it'd be nice if the two grey bars were green/grey like the logo - should be a quick fix in photoshop.

Awai.
Boss429
QUOTE(Awai @ Jun 20 2006, 05:17 AM)
^ sorry to jump in on your topic Boss but could i ask why your switching from MYOB?

website template looks good - from a first impression it'd be nice if the two grey bars were green/grey like the logo - should be a quick fix in photoshop.

Awai.

Well that is just a template.. all doen with CSS/HTML . I will take a look at doing that today.

As for the MYOB, apparently they were bought by the ppl who one ACT! and Simply Accounting and there was not really much support for it.

I havent looked into it, just what the my manager said.

.:edit
what I found abotu MYOB>

Please be aware that MYOB is no longer supported in Canada.

MYOB Sells Canadian Operation

ASX Announcement - MYOB

10 November 2001

MYOB Limited (MYOB or the Company) today announced that it has sold its Canadian business to Intuit Canada Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Intuit Inc., for C$9.1 million (equivalent to A$11.4 million at the prevailing exchange rate).

"This move is consistent with MYOB's strategy of pursuing geographical growth that provides the Company with the ability to achieve a strong market position," said the CEO of MYOB, Mr Craig Winkler. "Our Canadian business operated within a very competitive environment in a maturing market. Faced with this, we felt that it would be difficult to further increase our market share via organic growth. Accordingly, we decided to divest the operation and reinvest the proceeds in developing other markets," he said.

The transaction takes effect as of 9 November 2001. MYOB's Canadian operation was on track to generate revenue of C$4.5 million (A$5.6 million) for the 2001 calendar year.

"I would like to acknowledge the contribution made by our staff involved with our operations in Canada. The performance of the business, particularly over the past couple of years, has been exemplary in what is a highly competitive market place," said Mr Winkler.

The rest of the MYOB group's operations continue to trade in line with the outlook provided at the time of the results release in September 2001. The Company is on track to return to trading profits in the second half of 2001.

.: from http://www.myob.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Pa...d=1113461132428

OR:
Changing the subject slightly, on November 12, 2001 Intuit Canada Limited, announced that it had acquired the Canadian operations of small business accounting software maker MYOB Canada, a division of MYOB® Limited (ASX: MYO). "MYOB decided to divest our Canadian operations as part of a strategy to focus on markets and countries where MYOB has more growth opportunities", said CEO of MYOB Limited, Craig Winkler. "MYOB is continuing to aggressively pursue growth by assisting small businesses in other countries around the world." At this time we are not certain that this has any impact on the U.S. MYOB market, or effects current users in any way, but felt we should make attendees aware of the acquisition.
Awai
ahh understood - i almost used myob about a year ago for my businesses but in the end figured i was too busy to be bothered with doing the accounts so nowadays i just plonk it all in a jiffy bag and send it to the accountants biggrin.gif

was just interested really. good luck with the website if the images are CSS controlled you'll be able to make the changes quite easily i'd imagine.

cheers for the post biggrin.gif
Boss429
QUOTE(Awai @ Jun 21 2006, 06:25 AM)
if the images are CSS controlled you'll be able to make the changes quite easily i'd imagine.

lol the are not images lol.. the lines are lines.
Awai
haha you can just tell i'm not a webdesigner cant you wink.gif
enigma
Looks good. Certainly follows the KISS idea, but I dont think it looks personalised - more of a 'sterile template'. But that may just be me, as I like charactorised websites that carry some depth to them.

I think it needs some more definition between the sections of text - possibly give the side block a slight bgcolour difference. The titles (ie About Us, News, Notes, etc) should be a darker or different colour to its following text.

What audience is it for and what is it's purpose?
Is it for potential corporate buyers? Or public advertisement?
Boss429
It is for the compnay I am worknig for.

Supposed to be industrial themed towards the market and their clientelle... however i have osrt of jumped into the indurty and I am learning it (the industry) as I go.

That is exactly what it is at the moment a Sterile template.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.