Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: "webOS"
nForums.net > Information & Services > Public News
Deepone
check out Desktoptwo

Desktoptwo is a free web-based desktop or webtop (some call it a WebOS, although we feel that's a bit premature... for now) that mimics the look, feel and functionality of a local computer, all contained within one browser window and fully accessible from any Internet-connected device.

Following are just some what they offer:
Hard Drive. Any file, any time, anywhere. 1GB Free!
My Website Editor. Create/Edit a webpage. Publish it instantly
IM. Talk with the Desktoptwo community or use MSN
MP3 Player. Listen to your tunes from anywhere. Now that’s “World Music”
Programs. Office programs for reading documents on the fly. Collaborate with others

This is one of screenshots you can see on their main page:
user posted image

For me this sounds pretty darn huge thing. Or should I say, something that Google must have been after ? tongue.gif The site seems to use mixture of flash and java. Site also seems to be in beta-phase, but with some small fooling around did not encounter anything bad, apart from it still trying to open one pdf-file remotely ie in browser's window. It did, however, allow me to select opening it up on normal file on the computer.
captbics
Call me a pessimist, and I'm going to extrapolate here. Whether it is a WebOS or WebApp, it is still a 3rd party.

While these Web-based apps and 3rd party business models are interesting, is anyone really going to trust their personal stuff or business material to some 3rd party over the Web. Even running a Google version of excel sounds dangerous to me.

I'm sure the disclaimers that this outfit as well as Google and others will state is that if you lose your stuff, too bad....Not our fault legally....Read the fine print....Have a nice day....Just send us our subscription fee (and while this one may be free, they will undoubtedly try and offer you more storage or whatever for a price).

That potential loss alone should dissuade anyone from trusting their stuff to any 3rd party. If it is just for file transfers, that is something entirely different. We've had these around for years. But apps and OSes that are run over the Web are not secure (of course, depending on your definition of security as well). Even if you encrypt and use https connections, denial of service (DoS) and distributed DDoS attacks could bring you to your knees, whether personally or from a business point of view. Any one or any business deserves what they get in these scenarios.

Just my pessimistic 2 cents on this day before taxes are due....hope this didn't sound like a rant. rolleyes.gif

captbics
Deepone
well, I would rather say that those are good points to raise up. Then again, I have noticed something. You can call me care-free if you want but I have made lot more friends and have had a lot more fun because I just got bored of the worrying wink.gif What I mean (and what we can continue on the philosophy thread if someone is interested), is that it is basically your choice: either you trust people or you do not. Fact is, not all people all to be trusted. But fact is also that not all people are to not be trusted. Given that majority seems to be trustworthy (to some extent), I rather choose to trust people.
Sure, it lets me down every now and then. And it hurts sometimes, and sometimes the precautions are not enough. But I still feel it is more rewarding way to live, than to not trust anyone or keep the standard too high. That way one just ends up restricting everything. If you look at the laws or shops, that is how they operate. Sure, you can strip search everyone to make sure no-one takes anything from your shop - but then you do not have customers. And weborders are something on that line as well. Basically you trust the company that they will actually give them what you want, for the money you supply them beforehand. If we can trust things like that - given the uncertainty of the net as a whole! - why we just can not trust people ? Most of them are trustworthy, but the few that are not spoil it for the rest.. Security checks at the airports and the hassle caused by them being very good example.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.