Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Need help on building a new system....
nForums.net > Support > Hardware
spektrum
Ok guys. I need help on which parts would be best for my new system I am about to build.

The system will run XP Pro and I plan on running an 80gig HD with atleast 1024mb of ddr ram.

The new system will be mainly used for graphic applications (photoshop, 3dsmax, etc), but will also be my internet machine.

I have a sony digital workstation that I use now for internet, but I want to dedicate it to audio/video use only.

I'm in no way loaded of money, but I want to get good parts.

Any suggestions (brand name, model number, etc) would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have built a few systems for friends and relatives, but this will be my first major build.

Thanks!
Voidrunner
I recently built a complete Athlon64 3200+ system with two 80 gig harddrives, a gig of ram and a cheapo graphics card for under 1400. Sadly it's not mine sad.gif
What kind of budget are you thinking about???
Firewiz
Gimmie the budget and I'll give u a plan! Say what parts you already have!
Defcon9
Just recently built my XP 3200

Motherboard: MSI KT6 Delta (has Raid out) $60.00
1 Gig DDR400 $240.00
Athalon XP 3200 Socket A $160.00

Just few, but prices are great.
Timelapse
I spec'd out a system early this month... it was ~1K for the following:

RAIDMAX Black 10-bay Case, Model "268WBP"
MSI PT880 Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "PT880 Neo-LSR"
SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP
Antec Original 300W ATX12V Power Supply, Model "SL300"
Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology
2 x Kingston 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200
Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, MODEL 6Y080M0
Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard & Wheel Mouse Optical Value Pack PS/2 102keys
Lite-On DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model LDW-451S
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0226"
NETGEAR 54Mbps Wireless PCI Ethernet Adapter, Model WG311

There's no monitor or 2nd CD drive -- I'm carrying them over from my current computer.

TL
spektrum
Thanks for the responce's guys!

So far I don't want to spend more than $750usd or so.

I already an Audiophile 24/96 audiocard and a Radeon 7000 video card that I can use. Also have a spare 40gig hd to use as a backup drive for the new system.

I would like to add that a DVD-r is a must.

Let's hear what you got!!!
Boss429
hmm.. where are you looking for parts? internet or store?

you can get some parts cheaper on newegg.com

or look at some canadian sites and transfer it to USD .

how bout:

AMD DFI Infinity mobo
AMD mobile 2500+
1024 Corsair XMS dual channel DDR
120 hd.. western digital /w 8mb
ati Radeon 9800 pro 128mb
Liteon CDRW

cant find my list there may have been more to it..

but CDN price is 1k - 1.1k

or rougly 800 USD
dewey999
I'd skip the CDRW and go for a dual format DVDRW.

I've got my eye on this one http://www.plextor.com/english/products/712A.htm
bloodshot
The ASUS A7N8-X is one of the best motherboards I've had. Given the responses from the last NFORUMs board, I built my current machine on that board. I also built my dad's off that motherboard. Great board!
Audiyoda
For a graphics workstation, the Radeon 7000 won't do. Get a 9800Pro 128 from newegg, they've got Saphirre bulk units for under $200. And it will make a huge difference.

1Gig of DDR is fine, you may even want more. But buy two 512Meg sitcks - you'll get better throughput.

The Plextor dual DVD writer is good but expensive. The Lite-On dual writer can be had for under $100.

Just my $.02
dewey999
I was just looking at the Lite-on web site and didn't see any dual mode (+-) DVD Writers

http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/odd.htm
Audiyoda
I own a Lite-On LDW-851S Dual mode +/- DVD Burner. Haven't burned a coaster yet.
judson70
Normaly I agree with Audyoda, BUT .... the Radeon 7000 will work fine for graphics ... your budget (you already have the 7000, why buy another card) would be better spent on other stuff. Under 200$ sounds great (we saw the pic of the workstation Audy uses) but for that same 200 you could add another 500 meg of Ram ... move up to a P4 with Hyperthreading .... or add a boat-load of Serial ATA hard-drive space. One of the Non-linear editing stations at the TV station I work at uses a 7000 card to run dual monitors with a Targa 3000 card ... the frame rate is fine and Photoshop and Maya run perfect on it.
Audiyoda
Sure Maya and other 3D modelers will 'run' on a 7000. But for anything intensive, a 7000 won't do. Heck, even a 9800XT with 256Meg isn't going to cut it. A 3D Labs Wildcat 4 cuts it.

It's all a matter of priority - what are your priorities? If rendering (and to a lesser respect image quality) isn't a big issue keep the 7000. You've already got a system of A/V use, so that's not a priority. For 3D modeling, a hyperthreading CPU is certainly helpful - as is 1Gig of RAM - as is a high performance graphics card.
Firewiz
Ok, took me a while to get back to this post....but here is the system I would build 4 u! smile.gif Everything I try to get is versitile and upgradable. I like big cases and mobos with lots of features that are overclockable!

CASE/PSU :Antec Performance Plus Series Plus1080AMG w/ 430 antec true power psu $116-zipzoomfly.com
user posted image

MOBO :Asus P4C800 Deluxe i875P $165-zipzoomfly.com (there are so many good mobo's, this is such a hard one to pick for people, it all in exactly what they want from it!)
user posted image

PROC : Intel Pentium 4 Prescott Processor 3GHz, 800MHz FSB, Socket 478, 1MB Cache $224-zipzoomfly.com
user posted image

OPTICAL DRIVE :Plextor PX708A Internal DVD±R/RW & CD-R/RW $129 (after $30 rebate)-zipzoomfly.com
user posted image

HARD DRIVE : u have (seen and bought maxtor 250g 8mb HD's for $150)
SOUND : u have (also onboard sound on the mobo)
VIDEO : u have (always suggest getting the biggest you can afford! The new Nvidias coming out seem to kick ass in all reviews, but we are yet to see what ATI will release)

Total price ordering all these new parts from zipzoomfly.com ~$635 U.S. This price is assuming you are using your own HD, video, and sound that you already have!

You want to spend more....well there is ALWAYS better and faster to get!

***********EDIT................

OH SHIT...I forgot memory....

Corsair VS1GBKIT400 1GB Kit DDR400 PC3200 CAS2.5 $199
user posted image

This will put you way over budget, so you can buy 1 stick for now and 1 later! That will keep you in your budget!
Messenger
Thanks for posting that FW. I've been starting to look at building up a new system for myself, but it's been that long since I built the one I'm using now that I really didn't know where to begin as far as good mobo's etc. And I have NO CLUE what is good as far as Graphics cards go ... things were so simple when you just looked at the next Geforce biggrin.gif - now there's so many different version of each chip is confusing.
So the difference with the Prescott CPU's is even smaller architecture and larger cache? blink.gif I did search on it but only really found reviews that didn't state the difference over the previous incarnation of the P4....
Firewiz
Its so hard to really say or suggest to people these days because there are so many options these days!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.