nForums.net > Support > Video & Audio
Boss429
Yorkville
YSM-1 (passive)

175$(CAD) eac. 350$ pair.

150watt Eac.

Just wondering what you guys think.

Rogue Znowman
Not too familiar with Yorkville, but for the price, they could be decent. (Btw, they're only 70 watts each).

What application are they for? Music? Movies? Both?
What size of room are they going into? Room layout?
Straight 2-channel, or are you going for a surround system?
What kind of components are you using to power them?
What are your listening habits? Would you use them a lot? Loud?

(Reason I ask so many questions, is that I work for a high-end home audio / home theater shop, and I see people come in all the time who ask for advice like this. The answers to the above questions can help direct you to a set of speakers that will suit your needs best).

My setup:
- Monitor Audio Gold Reference 10's (link)
- Monitor Audio Gold Reference Center(link)
- Monitor Audio Bronze B1's - used for rear surrounds (link)
- Paradigm PW-2100 subwoofer (link)
- NAD T763 (link)
- NAD T572 (link)
- Also, a few tweaks such as high grade speaker cable and interconnects, focal pods, RSC-links, etc.

Now all I need is a big-screen DLP television. cool.gif
Audiyoda
You guys and your high performance cables -- always good for a laugh. Part of my thesis at MSU involved proving there is no preceived difference between the highest end cables and basic zip line.

We ran 8 pairs of cables (ranging from zip line to Monster Sigma Retro Gold cable wich Monster send to us 18 months before they hit the market) from my McIntosh amp to my B&W speakers. Had a panel of 8 listeners (including a producer friend for Nashville that was on my thesis committee). We played the same song using each cable and asked the listeners what they thought. Everyone thought the Sigma Retro Gold's were the best (at $5000 suggested retail, they better be). But there was one problem - everytime we told the listeners we were switching to cable X, we actually just kept the zip line plugged it. We never changed the speaker cable.

Now in the labs, the quality of cabling made a huge difference. But in real world applications, there are too many variables that negate the quality of high-end cables.

Now, as for those speakers. The Yorkville YSM-1's are reference monitors - not what I would consider 'home theater' style speakers. They will be very flat and uncolored. They will sound 'deader' than home speakers and for a good reason. They're used in studio's for mixdown and the last thing you want is a colored sound. They do handle 150Watts but that's at a 2ohm load. That is a nice aspect of many reference monitors - they will run at various load inputs from 2ohm to 32ohm depending on how the mixdown speakers are configured (our 7.1 configuration is 16ohm for the fronts and rears, 16 ohms for the center and sub and 32 ohm for the mid and rear surrounds). But for home speakers, these are not what I would want to listen to for the pure enjoyment of listening to music or watching your favorite DVD.
Boss429
Well I was going on INfo from Long & Mcquade music store in Canada. The took it from thier computer system in the studio monitoring area.

the YSM-1p are power amps built in, but i dont need those if i am using my own amp.

they are replacing 4 tower spkrs in a small 12x12 room, or maybe a 7x11 later. 12x12 for sure.

the clarity and high and lows that we ran through at the store was great compared to some that i have heard.

Myabe the gave wrong models #, i see if i can find a picture.

Boss429
here we go...

user posted image

YSM1i Specifications
System Type 2-Way
Active or Passive Passive
Program Power (Watts) 70
Nominal Impedance (Ohms) 6
Sensitivity (dB @1Watt/1m) 90
Frequency Response (Hz +/- 3db) 40-20,000
Crossover Frequency (Hz) 2,500
Driver Configuration 1 inch, 6.5 inch
HF Driver(s) 1 inch Soft (Silk) Dome - Medium Viscosity Ferrofluid Cooled
LF Driver(s) 6.5 inch Foam Surround
Sheilding Dual Magnet on Woofer and Tweeter
Inputs 1
Inputs - Binding Post 1
Enclosure Materials MDF Wood
Baffle Material Gray PVC Clad MDF Wood
Port(s) Tuned 2 inch Cylindrical
Grille N/A
Covering / Finish Charcoal Gray Laminate
Other Details Shipped in Mirrored Pairs.
Dimensions (DWH xbackW, inches) 9 x 10 x 16
Dimensions (DWH xbackW, cm) 23 x 25 x 41
Weight (lbs/kg) 18 / 8

user posted image

YSM1i Overview
Contemporary Passive Studio Monitor

For more than a decade the original Yorkville YSM1 studio monitor has been a vital mixing tool for the serious recording engineer. They earned a reputation and became widely accepted as one of the most transparent sounding, wide response, and accurate and affordable small format reference monitor available on the market.

The YSM1i is the next generation of passive near-field studio monitoring from Yorkville Sound. Building on the reputation of the YSM1, the YSM1i is a compact, two-way, near-field studio monitor designed to accurately reproduce the signal from a recording and mixing chain without contributing sonic coloration. It has clarity and bass response that you would expect to hear from a much larger cabinet and is suitable for home and project-studio recording as well as sound reinforcement and installation applications. It reproduces timbres with near pinpoint accuracy and produces pristine sound that defines the finest details and harmonics of the input signal.

The YSM1i features a 1-inch soft-dome, ferrofluid-cooled tweeter and a 6 1/2-inch foam-surround woofer arranged in a symmetrical, vertical configuration with the drivers mounted slightly forward to minimize reflections off the cabinet face. A precisely tuned 2-inch cylindrical port directly below the woofer increases bass response and allows cabinet size to be kept compact. The internal crossover network is a ‘tried and true’ design consisting of a 12dB / octave low-pass filter and a 6dB / octave high-pass filter with a crossover point at 2.5 kHz. This proven design is functional, efficient and highly resistant to failure. Speaker cables are secured with gold-plated binding posts that also accept banana plugs.

The rock-solid YSM1i is constructed of 3/4-inch MDF with a 3/4-inch thick PVC clad MDF baffle, and features heavy internal bracing as well as ample internal dampening material ensuring that there is no unwanted bass resonance.

The cabinet is finished in an attractive, charcoal gray vinyl that resists scuffs and is easily cleaned. The YSM1i exhibits impressive bass response and well-articulated and balanced mid-range & treble resulting in a sound that is tight and well controlled without overshoot or flabbiness. In addition, stereo imaging is very good, resolution is consistent in every frequency range and bass response is excellent. The monitors excel at placing incredibly detailed, uniform sound across a relatively wide area allowing good variation in optimum listening location. Designed by Yorkville’s team of engineers using state-of-the-art computer technology, the YSM1i features the best price to performance value on the market.

YSM1i Features

* Two-way near-field studio monitor
    * 1-inch soft-dome, ferrofluid-cooled tweeter
    * 6 1/2-inch foam-surround woofer
    * Precisely tuned 2-inch cylindrical port directly below the woofer increases bass response
    * Gold-plated binding posts that also accept banana plugs
    * Rock-solid 3/4-inch MDF construction with a 3/4-inch thick PVC clad MDF baffle
    * Charcoal gray vinyl finish that resists scuffs and is easily cleaned

sadly... i know very little about what this means....

other than the Active version that was being utilized sounded great. (ysm-1p)

more info.... www.yorkville.com i believe.

they will be hooked up to an older tuner. Harmon/Kardon its analog with phono/tape/tuner/AUX

thnx
Rogue Znowman
Audiyoda is exactly right about the type of results you can expect from this style of speaker. It's not designed for home theater applications. Also, although L&M are great for instruments and production quality speakers, I wouldn't recommend them for home audio shopping.

On the other hand, Audiyoda... you're dead wrong about your speaker-cable theory. (Sorry, but you are).
I've done back-to-back comparisons with various cables on various systems, and there's no doubt in my mind that they make a strong difference.

Of course, that's all relative. On an entry level system, maybe ~$1,000 and under for amp/CDplayer/speakers(pair), you'll barely notice a change. The higher up you go, the greater difference you're going to notice. Take a Musical Fidelity A308 pre-amp/power-amp/CD-player, throw on some Martin Logan Aeons or Odessy's. Now we're looking at a ~$20,000+ 2-channel setup. You can bet your ass that a set of Goertz AG 3: 'Divinity' speaker cables is gonna bring that system to life in a way that would be impossible with a low end cable ever could.

Of course there's a point of diminishing returns, and definitely budgeting restrictions (for most normal people).

Point of fact is that with a cheap set of cables you're choking your system and not realizing its full potential.
Also, some people's ears are more sensitive than others. One person may hear a great difference, another person may not hear any difference. Bottom line... if it doesn't make a large enough difference to YOU, then don't buy it. Your ears are the final (and only) judge. Doesn't matter what any review says, or how many watts it has, etc... if YOU aren't happy with the way it sounds, move on to another product.

This may sound silly, but even a power cord can make a difference. Yup, just the cable connecting the unit to a wall outlet (or more likely a surge protector of some kind).
Remove the factory power cable that was included with the unit (for example, the previously mentioned Musical Fidelity A308 power-amp). Now replace it with a Moray James power cable. Listeners will be blown away. Their most common question is usually something like "wow. what else did you change?"

Before doing a comparison, people often ask me what they should be listening for. I just smile and tell them to just listen... then they can tell me what they heard. Then I'll tell them what I changed.

Bleh.
I could go on, but don't feel like it right now. tongue.gif

Boss. For speakers, you'll probably want something with more musical tonality, with a warmer feel.
You say you want 4 of 'em? This for surround system then?
If so, I'd recommend cutting back a little on the rear pair so you could spend more on your fronts. You're rears are rarely used in movies. Only the occasion car driving by or ambiant noise. (Of course there are exceptions... like Saving Private Ryan where there's bullets whizzing all around you all the time). Your center channel is the most important for movies. Roughly 60% of your sound will be coming from your center channel. Everything on-screen. Most of the dialoge, and a lot of the action. Basically, everything you can "see" on screen you're hearing from the center. If you're more interested in the 2-channel aspect of your system, then you're 2 front speakers are what you'll be focusing on.

Cheers.
Audiyoda
QUOTE (Rogue Znowman @ Apr 27 2004, 02:11 AM)
On the other hand, Audiyoda... you're dead wrong about your speaker-cable theory. (Sorry, but you are).
I've done back-to-back comparisons with various cables on various systems, and there's no doubt in my mind that they make a strong difference.

I'd be glad to send you my thesis - all 331 pages with video and audio interviews. Got 'experts' from Monster, Outlaw, Recton/AR, NASA, JBL, B&W, and Polk as well as a variety of acusticians, audio and video pros, and loads of academics saying the same thing I proved.

Of course I've only got the one copy -- you'd have to pay for making a second copy. I lost the backup CD with all the files when I moved, so my one and only original's not going anywhere.
Awai
^you could retype it devilsmiley.gif

Awai.
Boss429
hmm..

let me ponder this.. cause info seems to clash with that from my source...

Rogue Znowman
Audiyoda. It could be 331 thousand pages and it still wouldn't change my mind. That's just words on paper. The true test is actually listening.

I'm not saying your thesis is flawed or anything. I give you full credit for conducted that thesis, it's a great subject to cover.

You must admit though that there are two sides to this arguement. I truly believe that cables do make a difference, and I also truly believe that there are others who believe that they don't. Neither side is right/wrong, just perceive the results differently. The human ear is a very sensitive organ, and is as variable as sight. Some people are near-sighted, some far-sighted, some colorblind, etc. None of those are "blind", but they do perceive things differently. Know what I mean?

Cheers. cool.gif

Good luck with your shopping Boss! Let us know how it goes for you.
Audiyoda
Actually, the ear is not sensitive. Ask any audiologist. But I'm not going to continue this discussion because due to my own carelessness this thread became hijacked from Boss429's original intent. So Boss429, my apologies, and RZ I respect your opinion, but the discussion on speaker cables is over.
Rogue Znowman
lol
Fair enough. happy.gif
Firewiz
I have to put my 2 cents in myself....

my opinion....

I have read a few things about wire quality. Lamp wire against some of the highest quality shit using the state of the art equip. In most cases and articles, experts did NOT perceive an audible to the human ear difference.

My opinion, if you spend thousands of dollars on pretty speaker wire of the highest quality, of course there gonna sound good to you! You think ur gonna admit after spending that much on strands of metal that it wasnt worth it and you got ripped off.

Spending extra cash, good promotion, a pretty looking product, and a companys propoganda will give a false sense of quality in anything!

Now of course most people arent gonna go out and spend 10's of thousands of dollars on audio equip just to connect them up with romex or lamp wire!

I myself have 5 Klipsch RCW-5 In-Wall Speakers with a velvodyne 12 powered sub in my living room that I installed myself. I sacraficed some sound quality to gain floor space. The speakers are space optimally. Only bad thing is Im now limited to funiture and A/V locations in that room due to I cant really just move the speakers around!

user posted image
Rogue Znowman
I used the example of extremely high end just for demonstration purposes.

I'm not stating that I've read somewhere that the cables make a difference.
I'm stating that I've personally experienced the difference, in multiple setups.

Of course, to each his/her own.
Firewiz
The power of suggestion! smile.gif
captbics
Battery cable works fine, too! I know an audiophile who uses this who has built his own speakers and made his own measurements. Minimum resistance is what you need (despite what Monster, et al, want you to believe). Sure, it's not as sexy or high-tech looking...if that's what you want then go the more expensive cable route.

Just another data point and opinion...

captbics
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.