Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Tutorial [Premiere]
nForums.net > Support > Video & Audio
Awai
Right (its back!!!) Today were going to take two separate pieces of video, you can see them in the view windows here:

user posted image

And combine them into one video stream, using the chroma-key transparency feature of premiere. Heres a sneak preview of the final result:

user posted image

so to start with we need to take our two video streams and place them on the time line. As we want both the cup and bottle to exist in the same space at the same time you need to layer them one on top of the other as shown here:

user posted image

Next you need to open out the "Transform" effect in the "video" section of the effects panel. select the "clip" option and do the standard drag & drop onto the video in "video2".

user posted image

The clip effect will now appear in the "effect controls". You'll need to click on 'Setup' now.

user posted image

Another window will popup. First drag the slider (highlighted as '1') to about 49% or 50% to block out the side of the frame we want the other video to take. Then click on teh solid block highlighted '2'.

user posted image

Change the colour to match the example below - a lovely green!:

user posted image

then click 'ok' and 'ok' again to return to the main premiere window.
Awai
[part2]

Right click on the "video2" video stream again and follow the menu to->video options->transparency...

user posted image

In the Transparency options pull down the menu for "Key Type" and select "Green Screen"

user posted image

You may need ot adjust the threshold value of the greenscreen chroma-key to match the images more precisely. I've used "74%".

user posted image

Now you can click 'OK' again to return to the main premiere screen. Next you'll be wanting to head back into the Premiere effects panel and open up the "adjust" menu. Drag & Drop the "Brigthness & Contrast" effect onto the video stream in "video2".

user posted image

In the effect contols two new sliders will appear:

user posted image

alter these until the little preview window shows you a tidy match between the two pieces of video you've placed side by side. Once your satisfied you can place the render bar over the project and export out to which ever format you chose. Again heres a frame from my final result:

user posted image

Hope this helps some of you, this is getting pretty high into premiere so if its not working for you at some point just ask and i'll give some more advice. you'll notice that we just did at 50/50 mix with this example - of course with more time and effort you could crop the video in track two down to make it align with a TV screen in shot perhaps, therefore doing a composite into your project rather than a 50/50 mix. other packages such as afterFX and Combustion are designed for doing complex composites. But for simple stuff if you've got a copy of premiere you dont need anything else.

biggrin.gif

Awai
captbics
Nice tutorial Awai. I look forward to these again now that nforums is back.

captbics
zoyoff
Yeah, very nice post indeed. Hope we get a tutorial sit eonline one of these days.

We could post our knowledge....

Regards

ZoyOff
Awai
cheers guys - as i promised dutch *ages* ago theres going to be a encoding tutorial next starting with windows media encoder v9.0.

Watch this space [forum] biggrin.gif

Awai.
Zone55555
Great stuff Awai, thanks!
seyedaddy
good tutorial, but i have a question... what would you use an effect like this for?
mcelb1200
Nice one... this will come in handy...

Thanks for you're effort in posting these guides, they're muchly appreciated.
Awai

but i have a question... what would you use an effect like this for?

thanks for your comments guys - i've got all the video shot for the next tute but just need to find the time to upload and write it... onto seyedaddy's question. a simple mix composite like this is the most basic chroma key you can do - the usefulness of it is limited by what you want to achieve, say you have a scene where twins are arguing with each other with a stationary camera you could film both "twins" using one person and merge the shot in the edit to give the impression of there being two... or perhaps you want to include something else in the scene - in the stage where we crop the video in half you could easily make it a cube and insert and object into frame.

as i say its not ideal and a proper chroma key tutorial would be a good idea for the next tute i think - using that we do away with the mixing of two whole images and instead use a blue or green screen whilst filming to create an inbuilt alpha channel in the scene to knock out in the edit... watch this space!

Awai.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.