Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Difference between DVD +/-/+- recorder
nForums.net > Support > Hardware
kingato
I am about to get a dvd recorder but I am not sure what to get. Ijust want to be able to burn dvds that are compatible with most players outthere.
What is the difference between a + or - dvd recorder?
Messenger
Basically the minus (-) format is the most compatible one (at the moment). It will be readable in most standalone DVD players (95%) - even older ones - connected to your home theatre (provided your player can read DVD R's at all). The Plus (+) format is a newer format that is generally only readable by the newer players (they read both + and -).
In one camp, you have the "minus" advocates that use the DVD-R and DVD-RW formats: Pioneer, Toshiba, Panasonic and a couple of other companies. They are also approved by the official standards body of DVD video, the DVD Forum. In the other camp, you have the "plus" advocates that exclusively support the DVD+R and DVD+RW format: Hewlett-Packard, Philips, Ricoh and (until recently) Sony. They also have their own standards group called the DVD+RW Alliance. Many other companies have straddled the fence, claiming that they will support whichever format enjoys market support. Teac, LG Electronics, NEC and many others are following the marketplace and producing DVD-RW or DVD+RW drives of their own.
Some say that the the +R format is of better archival quality, but essentially it comes down to price of media, future compatibility and future-proofing.
Price
The most obvious difference between DVD-RW and DVD+RW drives is the price; DVD+RW drives and media cost slightly more than DVD-RW drives and media. DVD plus drives cost slightly more, as does the DVD+R and DVD+RW media

Compatibility with Set-top Recorders
The best set-top DVD recorders use DVD plus media. So if you plan to get a dedicated set-top DVD recorder, get a DVD+RW drive for your computer so you can share media.

Packet-Writing Format
DVD plus drives and discs are compatible with the Mt. Rainier standard; in principle, this will allow future versions of Microsoft operating systems to write directly to DVD+RW just like a big floppy disc. However, Mr. Rainier support has not been finalized in any operating systems yet, and it's not clear whether DVD-RW drives will also be compatible (or whether they can be made compatible with a firmware upgrade).

RW Speed
DVD plus drives are able to write DVD+RW media at a speed of 2.4X (an "X" is 1.3 megabytes/second), while DVD minus drives are currently limited to 2X speeds with DVD-RW media. If you plan to use a lot of RW media, this slight speed difference may affect your decision.

I suggest ensuring you concentrate on the -R capability to ensure (your family etc.) can watch the DVD movies you produce no matter how old their player is (again, provided it reads DVD R's at all). However, drives that burn to both formats are only slightly more expensive than those that only write to -R.
dInferno
Right now, you can get DVD +/- RW drives that are capable of burning aat 8x speeds, for both plus and minus formats. Most new sony DVD players will read both formats. Even HP is going to be making +/- burners soon (atleast that is what the HP rep where I work says). To be honest, I havn't really seen that much of a price difference in media these days.

The best thing to do is get a burner that can handle both formats, that way no matter which format wins, you will be set.
Awai
i'd be tempted to go for a dual format burner - plextor make a great drive. i'll post a link later to them...

also you may want to look at the dual layer burners which are about to hit the market - again i'll get a bit more detailed later as i've gotta dash to the footie wink.gif

Awai.
Deepone
I unfortunately dont have the dual-layer support on the burner I bought.. but othervice I'm happy - burns +/- and RAM as well smile.gif its LG.. anyway, dual is the way to go smile.gif some day u might want to buy + and one day - so.. tongue.gif somehow I guess that most ppl will buy dual-format drives, so both formats are prolly going to live on for quite a while.
but as its been said: dvd-r is more compatible that the + format. althought, if I recall right.. it was the other way around for the rw media. anyone can say this for sure ?
PimpScourge
Have dual-layer recorders been out yet? If so, what's available now (single layer) should have a price drop.
Zone55555
QUOTE (PimpScourge @ May 17 2004, 10:24 PM)
Have dual-layer recorders been out yet? If so, what's available now (single layer) should have a price drop.

They're coming out "Real Soon Now"... really any time. Whether it'll push single-layer drives cheaper is anyone's guess in the short term, but certainly over the next year they should drop significantly in price.
Messenger
QUOTE (dInferno @ May 17 2004, 04:23 PM)
Right now, you can get DVD +/- RW drives that are capable of burning aat 8x speeds, for both plus and minus formats. Most new sony DVD players will read both formats.

They burn at that speed for -R and +R .... not for RW's.... max for -RW's is 2x and +RW's is 4x to my knowledge ... but I gotta say I haven't seen +RW's at any store I go to anyway.

I have an LG Super-multi DVD burner - writes all formats including DVD-RAM, which is useless atm the moment here in Aus (no discs), but makes the drive a little future-proof at least.
dInferno
as its been said: dvd-r is more compatible that the + format. althought, if I recall right.. it was the other way around for the rw media. anyone can say this for sure ?

I read the same thing in an article. Suposidly several DVD players of different ages were tested, and the most compatible formats were -R and +RW
judson70
Office depot has a Dual format DVD burner for 100$ US ... Dont know how it works but it's cheap as shit ... might be worth looking into
Zone55555
Here's a link to another dual-layer DVD burner by Sony:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotli...tc_dru700a.html

The site's in japanese, but the pictures are pretty.
Back2goode
Dual layer burners are now available.

Internal:
CODE
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1076453080578&skuId=6335138&productCategoryId=cat01041&type=product

External:
CODE
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1076453080638&skuId=6335218&productCategoryId=cat01041&type=product

I dont see any media for these anywhere though. I personally am going to wait for Blu-ray before i purchase any new optical drives, my plextor 8x external is doing just fine smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.