Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Alright you coding gurus, and windows nutz
nForums.net > Support > Networking
Boss429
Hey guys,

For some reason, my dads corporate laptop gets and IP from my router at home, but it isnot recognized on his laptop. Me thinks ZOne Alarm is the problem, but he says it worked before when he did it.

Before you say wrong area, it should be in netowrking, i have other things. I can get it to work by settign a static IP. bingo bango boomgo.

but instead of having my Dad have to switch settings each time he works at home and then work, if i can get a script that can chanbge the settings .

mabye two files.. Home, and Office.

Home -

// for now

sets the IP info to Specific:

IP 192.168.x.xxx
SUBNET 255.255.xxx.xxx
GATEWAY 192.168.x.xxx

and the OFFICE

//for now

sets Ip info back to DHCP.

Im guessing a couple of the reg entries of the Nic Card and the different seeting could work, but being this a corp laptop im betting there could be prioblems with direct registry acces.

Im not exaclty sure where to post this cause It is software support and it is also a request of sorts.

IF any can help me with the script or/and a detailed outline of settings to change in the ZONEALARM for it to woork.

My router said the laptop had an IP, but meh!

it is working now, just need some help with coding i guess.

i know some C++(console)
and some VB (6)

Thanks laddies

Audiyoda
Sorry Boss, it still goes in Networking.
DutchKid
Hmm...this looks interesting. When I have time I might make a small app that changes the settings in the register (when I know where those are) and sits in the taskbar.

Note: When I have time...The clock seems to have too less hours these days sad.gif
Slace
why don't you change the range that you're dhcp server assigns to match what your dad's laptop expects...

edit: wait, how do you assign ip addresses at home?

edit2: well since I'm bored so I started writting a simple program to swap the IP settings, the only snag i've come accross is I duno how to access the IP address sent from the server so I was just going to manually assign it, but assign it as a dhcped address in the registry (yes there is a difference tongue.gif). lemme know what IP address should be in the DHCP section and I should be able to have it written tomorrow.
I can't garentee it will work as I duno if the registry subkeys I have are they same for everyone and whether the network will work if you fuck with the keys without properly restarting the network
Boss429
Slace:

192.168.1.xxx

just about anything between 5- 254 should work.. best bet is above the 100 range cause others are randomly assigned between 2-99.

At home i have a Router assigning IPs. I have two routers, dads laptop is only behind the main router. The second router is NOW acting as a switch only. the Main router gives IPs to ALL computers.

For some computers... like my brothers, it will not pickup the DCHP.. i dont know why (win 98se) so i made it static. Dads Laptop OS is NT. Not sure on the version. He will be getting a Newer IBM t40 laptop but that may not be for a few months.
forbin
Confused why your Dad's computoer at home can't use DHCP .. That's the beauty of the service .. There is a program call netswitcher which will do what you want.
amc
Is your TCPIP set up to retrive dns from dhcp? Perhaps your dads computer is using his corporate internal dns servers that you cannot reach from home and your internet request time out?

Sn_ake
just wondering what os your dad is running , in theory if your dads laptop after searching for a dhcp can not find an ip to assign it's selg it should assign one of the reserved ms ip addys. have you specified on the laptop where to find the dhcp server?

You could always if you are using say xp set up 2 profiles on the same NIC and if your dad is at work it will revert to one and if not to the other at home.

srry didn;t pick up that the dhcp server was assigning an ip addy, hum have you tried disabling zone alarm and then trying it to see if it is the problem?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.