Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Upgrade your DVD burner to Dual-Layer?
nForums.net > Support > Hardware
Zone55555
Courtesy of Slashdot, here's a link to a story (in german, so hop over to Babelfish) about hackers upgrading their NEC DVD burners to Dual-Layer capability with hacked firmware.

Story

This is for NEC 2100A and 2500A burners, and 'turns them into' the 2510A. Sounds dubious, and you better wrap that rascal, but if you're feeling brave here's a link to the hacked firmware:

Firmware

Better yet, here's a link to the Slashdot story, so you can read about *other* people blowing up their drives before you try it yourselves.

Slashdot Article

I wouldn't hold my breath for this to work, but someone's gonna be more brave than I am. smile.gif
shanoballs
hey pretty interesting stuff, considering the recent price drop in DVD burners, people wouldnt need much courage to screw w the insides eh? hehe u gonna try it?? cool.gif
Bdn
I don't even have a DVD burner, though I would probably try it if I had one..
Jobefx
the nec drive are only $80 not too shabby if its true that they can be made into a dual layer burner.

I just ordered a nec2500A from avlogic. I will let you know if the firmware upgrade works

---and now for something completely off topic I tried to go to egghead to buy the dvd drive to discover that egghead.com is now run by amazon. This reallly really really blows, what was the best comp hardware store on the net is now a peice of *^%*. I ran a search for nec and it watedn to sell me a cellphone. WTF?

Jobefx
Zone55555
Be interesting to hear what you finde out, Jobefx... I just broke down and bought myself a Plextor PX-708A, and haven't heard of any such hacks for it, but overall I'm very pleased with the drive. It's good to finally own a Plextor after using so many inferior other pieces of crap for so long.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.