Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: WiFi Seeker Gizmo
nForums.net > Information & Services > Public News
captbics
Here's a nice little WiFi hot spot locating gizmo that fits on a key ring...

Here's the link: WiFi Seeker

user posted image

captbics

*** EDIT - Just made the pic smaller; not fair asking 56k'ers to wait 3 mins for the pic you posted. ***

(Thanks Bear...wasn't thinking...spoiled by my cable modem...my apologies to 56Kers.)
Jobefx
Is it just me or does this seem kinda useless? Its a cool idea and looks neat, but how usefull could it be? Does it tell you if the wifi is encrypted, or open so it will be useful? And if you need a wifi wouldnt you have a laptop or pda with you that will tell you if there is a wifi around. thus making the keychain thing kinda pointless.

ah well just my opinion

Jobefx
judson70
I have one and it's actually quite useful. The LED blinks or lights steady depending on WEP status (encrypted or not, open share or not, etc) and it's a whole hell of a lot easier to push the little button than it is to un-pack the laptop. Yes, if you had a 802.11 PDA then it would be just as easy to turn it on. almost.

Peace
Wiener3
COOL cool.gif I didn't even know such a "gizmo" existed ! I dont have a laptop yet but I imagine it could be quite useful when I do - it's only 29.95.
captbics
I found a review over at Tom's Networking Guide on the PCTEL-lebeled version of the same product. Seems to be a decent review. References two other similar products.

See the review over at Tom's Networking

captbics
TWINE006
That's pretty neat. I'm surprised such a device is just now being released.
Audiyoda
Although this is hardware related, it's more appropriate in the news section.

THREAD MOVED
captbics
I received this e-mail a few minutes ago (28 May 04):

WiFi Seeker Now Available

You recently put your name on our website (www.wifiseeker.com) to notify you when they became available. We are delighted to announce that we are shipping units starting June 15, 2004. We are taking preorders now, and will not charge your credit card until the units are ready to ship.

Thanks again for your interest.

captbics
Back2goode
Dont most places that offer wifi proudly display as such? Even so, i'd be willing to unpack my laptop a few times to save myself 30 bucks. Seems like quite a waste to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.