Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Lost sound
nForums.net > Support > Video & Audio
artzelda
On a second computer I lost the sound. Running Win 98 2nd ed. Checked the drivers, volume control, muting and media system and all seems to be ok. Reinstalled updated drivers and still no sound on boot up or with CD player. When I put a music CD in WinMedia opens and indicates that the music is playing but no sound. Could I have a bad sound card. How can I check this??? Device manager indicates no problems. HELP
Awai
this may seem like a stupid thing but have you checked the little grey lead which goes from the cd player to your sound card... also maybe check your speakers (do they make a little "oof" when turned on first thing?) next to check is your sound card does it look blackened anywhere on it - this would indicate burnt chips etc...if it looks okay maybe try reseating the board in another slot - simply boot windows once when you've removed it - and delete the card from the devices menu in the system control panel - then shut down. then do a reboot with it in another pci slot and then reinstall it with your new drivers...

good luck,

Awai.
artzelda
Awai it was more stupid than that. Everything was checked and found to be OK. BUT after I installed the new drivers I forgot to set the sound card as the preferred device in CONTROL PANEL - MEDIA - AUDIO. When I reset the driver as the preferred device - VOILA - sound and plenty of it. I spent hours futzing around with this thing and all I had to do is complete the installation. Next time I'll read the README files before I do anything.
Awai
haha - well done mate, happens to the best of us! =)

glad you got it sorted.

Awai.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.