Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Watercooling
nForums.net > Support > Hardware
DutchKid
I need lots of info about this, mostly, how dangerous is it for your system. Does it often leak? Is there a way to keep it from leaking, or to keep it from short out the Mobo?

I need a more powerfull cooling unit, and I've been leaning towards watercooling for a long time...just haven't been brave enough to take the step.

Also, what are good brands?

Thanks!
Saint26
Check here:

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/guides/

This site is one of the best resources on the net for this kinda stuff. I used to be regular reader when I was into modding. You might also want to check the forums.

*** EDIT - Nothing to see here, just fixed a link; move along folks. ***
judson70
If you'll look around, you'll find options that use Mineral oil instead of water ... it's messy if it leaks BUT, it is non-conductive. You can see the benifits already I hope ....

Peace
Deepone
hm.. actually it is possible to put the whole comp in oil - I was pretty amazed at first when I saw that done. just as a note so u can think of that option too smile.gif
DutchKid
What kinda prices am I looking at when I would watercool my entire system, or cool it with oil...
Audiyoda
http://www.overclockers.com/topiclist/inde...WATER%20COOLING

Start reading smile.gif

You can get complete kits from around $120 USD: http://the-inquirer.com/?article=16137
DutchKid
Great read there Audiyoda. I've found out that Distiled Water is the preffered primary cooling fluid.

Now to find out some of that oil cooling stuff...
Jobefx
I have had my comp watercooled for over a year now. Distilled water is non conductive as is mineral oil, however when the oil or water gets "dirty", ie. there are extra ions from dirt, dust, disolved metals, then they will conduct. there is nothing really you can do about that, just make sure you have everything properly sealed and if you do have a leak wait for it to dry completely before booting your computer.

Water is prefered as it carries heat better and faster and it is easier to pump than oil. Stick with the water it is cheaper and easier to work with.

Are you planning on going completely homemade or are you going to buy a kit?

Also, what kind of comp are you running and howmuch do you plan to overclock it?

Jobefx
DutchKid
Well, not sure if I'm gonna overclock it, but I might try that sometime. I just want some good but affordable stuff. Around 150 euro or something. I need to be able to get it from within holland, or get someone to snail-mail it to me. I don't care if it's a kit, or not, as long as it works without too much hassle.

About the cooling fluid, I need distiled water, something to stop organics, and something to increase the water tension..that's what the stories say. What kinda fluids and additions are you using?
hoioyske
Another problem with water cooling is the condensation. If your CPU temp is more than 5 degree's below ambiant you will develop condensation(if your insulation is poor).

As for an additive to the water, look for a product called "Water Wetter". It conditions the water against corrosion, bacteria, and will add another 5 to 10 % better thermal dynamics to your cooling medium ie(distilled water).
mcelb1200
37% Ethelyene Glycol is used as a standard coolant mixture in car coolant systems. This proportion will increase the boil-temp to 105°C. If you buy pre-mix the water in it is aready (in australia) distilled for you. I belive Ethelyene Glycol is also an anti-corrosive, but don't quote me on that.

Also the notion of ever getting pure water is a bit of a misnomer. This is because water self-ionises forming H20 --> H+ & OH- in solution. I can't remember the dilution rate, but basically water will be conductive because even if you purify it and deionise it, it's just going to reionise spontaneously.

Really the immoral of the story is make sure you get a good waterblock and very good seals. Then put screw-ring seals over the seals just to make sure. and have fun!

Jobefx
Another problem with water cooling is the condensation. If your CPU temp is more than 5 degree's below ambiant you will develop condensation(if your insulation is poor).

This is not a problem with normal water cooling because the water will always be abmient temp. You only run into this problem if you add ice to the water or are cooling with a pelt or if you are running a freon system.

Ducthkid if you are not looking to overclock your system than you probably do not need to watercool your system. Buy yourself a good fan instead of the piece o' crap oem ones. If your case is over heating cut a blow hole. Eitherway you are going to save your self alot of time and money using fans instead of water.

In my water cooling rig i use a little bit of car antifreeze (propylene glycol) to prevent rust in the heater core but that is it. if the system is sealed and the water is moving you shouldnt get organic growth.

Jobefx
DutchKid
I've stepped off the Watercooling idea, I took a good look at what the temps are and what could change the temps.

I figured out that the PC was shutdown coz of a high CPU socket temp. When I checked today it was at 85 degree C. I took off the cover and it went back to 62. So I can conclude that there's a poor airflow in the case. I'm probably gonna add casefans at the side.
Sn_ake
Been running water cooling now for a couple of years and i got to say it does make a big difference on temps and most of all noise, as my pc is in my room and running 24/7 i wanted to go for a nice quite option.

As long as you take care and watch what your doing it's pretty safe, all pipes are well secured but i would suggest if there is going to be a weak point have it out side the case and the case elevated off the ground, This way if the pipes get pulled the weak point out side the case goes and all the water will flow to the floor so your pc stays safe.

You can knok together a nice custom reg for a small price if you have the time, plus it's more fun putting your kit together your self.

I use a large!! resivour so that radiator fans are not realy needed most of the time, with this config i get a core temp of 37-38c on a ath xp 2100+ with very little noise. I have also been able to get the cpu to speed of a 2600+ with only a rise to 41-42c.

Over all it's a very worth while thing if you want to cut your noise down and improve on temps.

Any more q's m8 and i will be more than happy to help ya, know of a whole load of places you can buy the bits and get info if your still interested in considering the option of water cooling.
SailCat
Hey, DutchKid-

It's good to hear that you have "stepped off the Watercooling idea" under the circumstances that you describe. It is much more economical to adequately cool a rig that isn't 'clocked by using conventional means.

Obviously, there is an airflow problem as you surmised since the temp drops with the case removed. I've had problems with round cables (many do not), so I 'origami' fold the ribbon cables and run them against the chassis and components, Voodoo-style. While there are blowholes and extra fans in the system, they run at half voltage while still keeping the interior nice 'n' cool.

In addition, a first-class, highly effective heatsink does not have to be either expensive or noisy. Every builder has a favorite, mine is the Vantec AeroFlow VP4 available for both AMD and Intel CPUs. This is a relatively old model (over a year) so should be easy to find vendors worldwide. It's about $20 U.S. I've used it in many computer builds.

You're sure to be happy with your temps with just a couple of inexpensive modifications.

Best,

~SC

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.