Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Why not a security, spyware forum
nForums.net > Information & Services > Suggestions & Help
artzelda
I think it would be a good idea to have a forum devoted to spyware and security issues. This may be part of the current software support forum but a specific forum just to this issue would be great. I just helped a buddy get rid of the about:blank spyware and it was a bitch. I wouild have appreciated a place to post my experience and get any info available. Anyone else have any thoughts on this.
Maggietobias
Agree totally with Artzelda.

I think that there is a lot of interest in this topic and think that nforum members have a lot to contribute to this topic, would add virus infestation to this.

My experience is more like Artzelda's - helping friends remove crap from their machines after they went on the web essentially unprotected.

Think separate forum area would provide specific issue information, discussion of merits of different programs, registry techniques for removing some of the troublesome ones, etc.

good suggestion, Artzelda

Maggietobias
Deepone
I think there are quite a few topics already that could be moved to such forum if it was to be created. which, I think, would be a good idea - but its up to admins smile.gif
amourdevin
Sounds like a good idea!
Pikaporeon
Fifth the motion.
Bearsland
Well, I see no reason why not; computer security is a very big issue thesedays and I've noticed a lot of forums have a dedicated section for the topic.

Gets my vote. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
amourdevin
. . . I've noticed a lot of forums have a dedicated section for the topic.

There are forums entirely dedicated to this subject!
Jobefx
A very good suggestion, I have had more problems with spyware lately than I care to think about.

Jobefx
Blue_Muppet
ok guys, i think this sounds like a good idea.

i've set it up, and what im going to do is put it on a 2 month trial. If it doesnt pick up at all, ill reduce it to a sub forum of software, and if it still doesnt look like itll work, ill remove it all together.

but, enjoy smile.gif
amourdevin
I do not see it. Can Alpha folks see it?
Bearsland
QUOTE (amourdevin @ Jun 10 2004, 02:59 PM)
I do not see it.  Can Alpha folks see it?

It's at the bottom of the Support Forums so you should be able to see it.

btw. Could one of the Admins edit it a bit, there is no such word as virii, the plural of virus is viruses. biggrin.gif

The plural of virus is viruses.

The convention for forming the plural of Latin words in English is to use the Latin plural form, or, if Latin does not actually have a plural form for the word, to form the plural in the normal manner used for other English words.

So, for example:

The plural of basis is bases. basis is a third declension noun with the nominative singular ending in -is. The nominative plural of such nouns ends in -es.

The plural of ignoramus is ignoramuses. ignoramus is not a singular word in Latin. It isn't even a noun. It is a verb, and already in the plural. (It means "we do not know". This is the first person plural.) So one forms its English plural by appending -es.
virus is a second declension noun ending in -us. (It can be translated to "slime", "poison", "venom", or "stench".)

However, it is one of the few such nouns that has no plural in Latin. It occurs only in the singular. So, just as with ignoramus, one forms its English plural by appending -es.

By the way, the word viri is a Latin word. But it is a completely different and unrelated one. It is the plural of vir. It means "men". Unless, when you talk of being infected by viri you really are talking about being infected by men (and not by viruses), viri is not the correct word to use.

~Bear (aka Mr. Pedantic) cool.gif

btw2. Since this is now up and running, I'll shift a lot of the latest Security posts in the Software section to it. I think Artzelda is right, this will be a busy place.
DutchKid
Yup, agreed!!
DutchKid
PS: Viewable for all!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.