Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: AMD or Pentium?
nForums.net > Support > Hardware
Ratrap
Hello, i posted it here and not "Hardware" because i want to know Experience AND facts.

I am about to get a new Computer, a really expansive one, 4000+ euro

But i don't know what kind of CPU!

AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 (2600 MHz, Bustakt 1000 MHz, Level 1 Cache 256 KB Level 2 Cache 1024 KB)

or

PentiumŪ Extreme Edition 955 (3466 MHz, Bustakt 1066 MHz, Level 1 Cache 16 KB Level 2 Cache 2048 KB)

i had once a AMD and got bluescreens like hell (1ghz some years ago)

Since that time i just bought Pentium.

Which CPU is better for games?
Deepone
I would wait for AM2 from AMD.. should be coming pretty soon. of course the initial ones will cost like h*ll but from the budget it seems you want the bleeding edge so it might be good idea to wait a moment for it (if I recall it right it should be coming on Q2 ie this month).
at this point of time waiting would be good option, but if you want to chooce from either one of those two, I would propably go with AMD. Pentium's are going really hot these days so cooling might be a problem. also check out these:

http://www.nforums.net/board/index.php?showtopic=2938
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?mod...=118&model2=319

play around with the different comparisons on the last link - it would be notable that amd got a lot better scores in multiprocessing and games that i checked out. Altho testing programs and power for prize seem to favor Pentium, so its really your call smile.gif
oh, and as a sidenote - havent had problems with AMD myself.. smile.gif (from what I know there have been some problems with the VIA's chipset on the motherboards of their processor tho so that might have been the reason)
Ratrap
Thank you!

Yeah this time i want to pay alot, every time i bought a computer it had slow parts, like a noname board or slow ram ...

The second link was great thanks!
Deepone
here's a link to story about the AM2 platform:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/21/a_l...t_am2_platform/

quad cores.. sounds promising tongue.gif anyway, should be coming by June. and reason to wait ? well... investment on the future smile.gif

The Socket AM2 is a generation change that is becoming increasingly necessary for the sake of supporting memory that will be mainstream in mid-2006 and into 2007. It won't change the performance landscape by much, unless AMD decides to make some fundamental changes to the architecture such as upgrading the FX to 4 MB cache. However, it will also be the basis for the upcoming 65 nm processors that are due at the end of this year. That is when things are going to heat up; the shootout between Intel's Conroe desktop processor and AMD's shrunk Athlons will be as hot as the Gigahertz battle in 2000.
Ratrap
I've tried to build my Computer, but i noticed: AMD doesn't support DDR2 Ram and the good Asuus boards.

Someone else told me wait too, but, there are new cpus, graphic cards etc all the time.

I just don't know about DirectX 10 and the Graphic Cards :-/
Awai
i've always used AMD because of the price - never had any problems (which cant be said about no name ram...) so i'd strick with them over pentiums any day. smile.gif

just an IMO
Deepone
QUOTE(Ratrap @ May 2 2006, 10:55 AM)
I've tried to build my Computer, but i noticed: AMD doesn't support DDR2 Ram and the good Asuus boards.

Someone else told me wait too, but, there are new cpus, graphic cards etc all the time.

I just don't know about DirectX 10 and the Graphic Cards :-/

well the thing with AM2 is that its offering that DDR2 support on-die smile.gif and given that you are going to spend a lot of money on the comp, I would strongly suggest buying one that can still be upgraded after few years: AM2 is the only socket AMD is going to put new stuff to... and its just until June wink.gif
Ratrap
Guess i will wait then.

I never want to see low fps and freezer in a new Game like Ghost Recon again!

I've 3 ghz P4 and 2 gb ram but still too slow :-/
oleva orava
I will take AMD, because I think it's better tongue.gif
Pikaporeon
Between those two, the AMD plows circles around the intel

Wait for the new ones if youve got the patience though
Ratrap
Another question:

My new PC has a 36GB HDD(10000 instead of 7200) S-ATA and they install Windows Pro there.

But i want to use my 2 old HDDs too(1x C\Windows, D Games and E Tools 1x X Downloads), can i just plug them in and boot from the new hdd and format C and D without losing data from E and X?
dInferno
As long as your old drives are not the one your pc will boot from, you can format any partition you want, without affecting the data on the others.
Ratrap
Thanks alot!

But how do i tell the comp to boot from y instead of x? ^^
Deepone
This is done in BIOS, by selecting booting device. However I'm not sure if all of them allow for that. And there is the trouble of Windows thinking the first HD is booted so installation always needs access to it - haven't tried this with windows xp thought. If you tell it to boot from the drive that before was the first HD, it should boot up normally but the drive letters might be re-arranged smile.gif
Ratrap
Ok thanks, i will just open my comp, install the 2 old drives and see what's booting, I bought Prof. and my old drives got Home.
Deepone
I would definately go with the pro wink.gif
The_Ro
QUOTE(Deepone @ May 13 2006, 11:06 AM)
This is done in BIOS, by selecting booting device. However I'm not sure if all of them allow for that. And there is the trouble of Windows thinking the first HD is booted so installation always needs access to it - haven't tried this with windows xp thought. If you tell it to boot from the drive that before was the first HD, it should boot up normally but the drive letters might be re-arranged smile.gif

Also, I believe, the computer will boot from the primary master by default. Just put the one you want to boot from as primary master, and the second as primary slave and secondary master.

Atleast that's how I did rolleyes.gif
Ratrap
Ah ok, well i will see tomorrow biggrin.gif

Hope my Games never freeze or run low fps again happy.gif paid crazy this time :-S
Deepone
let us know the details of the comp you bought secret.gif wink.gif
jarhu
QUOTE(Deepone @ May 18 2006, 02:58 PM)

Agreed. I can't even think about buying stuff with armys high daily allowance. dry.gif
Ratrap
QUOTE(jarhu @ May 20 2006, 01:14 PM)
QUOTE(Deepone @ May 18 2006, 02:58 PM)

Agreed. I can't even think about buying stuff with armys high daily allowance. dry.gif

http://www.nforums.net/board/index.php?showtopic=3303 smile.gif
jarhu
QUOTE(Ratrap @ May 20 2006, 03:46 PM)

I drool here. 7 months and I can even imagine buying good stuff. biggrin.gif
Ratrap
Ah, i just had luck getting some money biggrin.gif
jarhu
QUOTE(Ratrap @ May 20 2006, 05:22 PM)
Ah, i just had luck getting some money biggrin.gif

At least someone has some luck. biggrin.gif I seem to have lack of it right now.
Ratrap
Yeah and the Comp i bought with the money is not working, nobody seems able to help, lucky me eh? tongue.gif
jarhu
Can't help it, eh? You need to get some geek friends. wink.gif But really, any problem with computer is solvable. Right now I have taken some alcohol so I think I won't advice right now.
PimpScourge
I give my best advice when I'm drunk drunk.gif
Ratrap
I'll send ya an airplane full with beer rofl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.